Arkansas (below Salida) knowledge? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arkansas (below Salida) knowledge?

Heading up this weekend to try some new water for me and hit the Arkansas around Canyon City ish (I have only fished the upper sections).*

Hoping some members (hook me up south siders) of this fine forum have advise on good sections to target w/ spinning gear throwing some hardware.* Also, is there an aboundance of quality public water, or is it few and far between.

Appreciate the help*
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Arkansas (below Sedalia) knowledge?

Just look for the most used pull offs... thats where the best fishing is. :P
I cant remember the names of some of the pull outs but look for some fishy spots between the Royal Gorge turn off and Salida.
Fishing is also good right in Canon City by the river walk across from the archery range... and then just outside Canon City (forget the turn) Heading towards Salida.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

My brother fishes that stretch quite a bit. I don't remember all the places he pulls out, but there are lots of holes throughout that stretch. (And by the way, it's Salida - Sedalia is near Castle Rock) Let us know what you find and how you do!

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info - sounds like it is pritty stright forward, and the correction - I always get those two mixed up (lived here my whole life so that is kind of sad).* Looks like the weather could be turning, but what do the fish care they are already wet.* *

Thanks again
Old 10-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLux
what do the fish care they are already wet.

Thanks again
THAT'S FUNNY!!!!

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Arkansas (below Salida) knowledge?

When it's raining the fish are laughing at us standing there getting wet.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

i'll give ya a few i dont mind sharing on the open forum

just west of texas creek it is private for a few hundred meters or so but then you will see a pull out right after a sign saying "entering public lands" the river is by the road here and you can park and walk down to the river and start working your way up stream till the river turns awy from the road this streach has a bunch of rocks and boulders in there and you could spend a bit of time tossing panthers yellow/silver tight behind them make sure you have enough wieght that the lure is ticing the bottom on the way back

there are a couple of 3 or more spots that you can turn out from the highway and then kinda drive back in a bit might even get out of veiw from the road all of them have good fishing and it is nice to get away from the traffic

a little ways past (west of) cotopaxi there is a small stream flowing into the ark from the south and a side road also you can park there and there is a nice streach of river to be had there several hundred meters in both directions

as you move further west you will come across where badger creek flows into the ark from the north the sand bar created by badger kinda dams up the ark and makes a giant pool that holds some nice fish

there are a few places that you can cross the river and then drive up or down stream and get to some spots on the far side that look inaccessable from the highway and dont get much pressure but you will have to kinda search for them but when you find them you will enjoy some nice streaches all to your self

remember there is atleast one streach of the ark closer to salida that is gold medal or some sort of special restrictions just make sure you know the regs in the spot your at
good luck and enjoy

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks roadkill - great info. May push it out to early next week with the snow coming in, but I'll post how I do hopefully with some good pics. Appreciated.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

going during the week is a good idea a lot less pressure on week days

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

You might want to try a small (size zero)Mepps spinner in the black color.Use light line about 4#,and fish close to the bottom.Plan on losing a spinner or two,but it can be deadly this time of year.The Browns love that black spinner when ticking the bottom.
BOJON123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in