Boulder Creek, St Vrain - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boulder Creek, St Vrain

Thinking about going up to either Boulder or St Vrain Creek. Never fished up there so does anyone know if water level is OK and approx. where would I fish. Thanks
windknot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Boulder Creek, St Vrain

Never fished St Vrain Creek. So no input there.

On the other hand, my office is literally next to Boulder Creek in east Boulder. I often fish it over lunch. I have not fished it west of Boulder, but I assume that it's similar to what's in town (at least from a water level point of view).

Currently, the water level is low, but it is normally low. Most of the creek is less than 12 inches deep, although there are some pools more than 3 feet deep. And I know of at least one pool at 6 feet deep.

The fish are typically brown trouts and less than 10 inches. Although I have caught rainbows and one 14 inch brown. I've seen suckers, and a friend cought a bluegill.

The WIDTH of the creek, and the overgrowth of trees and bushes, make fishing hard. I fly fish it and in the past I've used a 9 foot, 4 weight and that worked well for mynphing. Although the 9 foot is sometimes hard to swing without hitting something. I've also used a 6' 2wt rod and while it works wonderfully for dry flies, it's terrible for nymphs. I just recently bought a 7'9" 3wt rod and I hope it'll give a better results for both dry flies and nymphing.

I have no idea how you'd fish Boulder Creek using a spinning rod. I've seen people do it, but I'm not sure what kind of success they have had. Seems to me that, aside from the rare large pool, there just isn't enough room to work a spinning rod. The creek is too shallow, too narrow, and there are too many bushes and trees. If you're not getting cought up on a branch then you're overshooting your target or hanging up on some roots or rocks.

When I fly fish, I use a 7-9 foot leader with maybe a foot or two of fly line off the tip of the 9 foot rod. Who needs to cast 60+ feet when you can only get 10-20 feet before getting caught up on something.

Boulder Creek is closed from Valmont to, I believe, 75th due to the New Zeland Mud Snail. It's even closed to joggers and dog walkers. Go in there and you can expect a fine up to $1000! Yikes. But if you fish other parts of the creek, be sure to wash your waders and stuff just to be on the safe side. Check out the post on the top of the Fly Fishing forum for instruction on how to do that.

Fishing is strictly catch and release west of 55th Street. And there are areas closed to people, so watch the signs and fences.

But the entire length of Boulder Creek (at least in town and for several miles west of town) there are bike paths. To find an area to fish just park your car, take a walk, and get your line wet.

Good Luck!
DavidK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Boulder Creek, St Vrain

I haven't fished Boulder Creek in the past couple of weeks, but I do have a lot of experience there. The creek is catch and release only from 55th street to the mouth of the canyon, but once you are out of the city limits, standard regulations apply. I've done well in the canyon both spinning and flyfishing. When I spin, I usually use a 1/8th ounce panther martin. My "go to" color is the yellow body, silver blade, with red stripes on the blade. It's been good for mostly browns and some rainbows. Some of the browns in the canyon have been surprisingly big, up to 18 inches, with 8-13 inches being the norm. I think the water is pretty low up there right now, which translates to spooky fish. If you're stealthy, and fish in low light, ie dusk, you should do pretty well. Because of the gin clear water, I'd go pretty light with your line. I use 4 lb. test Berkley Vanish as a leader on my spinning rig. Hope this helps.

Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in