Sucker meat - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sucker meat

I have read a few reports latley about people catching lakers from shore using sucker meat. How do most of you guys do this, dead sticked on the bottom or tipped a jig or whatt? Im just curious because i might be making an outing soon. Thanks.
Zack
bigzee44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sucker meat

Id say either way would work. Most people tip their jigs with it although its not %100 needed.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I`m pretty new to jigging for lakers as well. My question is .......... what size piece of sucker meat do you use with a tube jig? Just enough for scent ( postage size ), a long thin strip, or a large `steak`? I`m partial to a large fillet but I`m sure the fish could be a bit more picky. Also......... I`ve seen some pretty raunchy frozen suckers being sold............ is fresh better?

I`ve generally dropped the tube (3") to the fishes level and slow jigged waiting for a `take ` on the drop. I`ve yet to take a laker on a tube jig.

And yep, Bernie is on the list of things to do soon.

Also....... when I hear of people `catching` Kokes at dike 3 at Grandby are we talking about snagging ?? What`s the accepted method around the dike? I`d rather not snag........

Thanks for your patients with a real neophite !

Now, if ya wanna go Pike fishing in Minnesota....... I`m your boy.
racer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Don!

Guess I just have to keep at it. When I hear folks catching 30 or 40 fish around Dike 3 and I`ve just been there and not had so much as a strike and mark no fish I just have to wonder if I smell too much like pike. I do want to get back up to Grandby once more this year B/4 it`s iced up so guess I`ll have to try the small pink jig thing under a bobber. I`m much more a caster than a bobber watcher. I tried small castys with the orange slash all around the dike but havn`t had even one taker.......... now the trout are another matter.

Anyone else like to chime in here?? Thanks, Jeff

Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want to catch small to medium lakers tip your tube with sucker meat "as Don said". or a nice juicy night crawler. If you have ever jigged for eyes then you know that dragging the jig can be more productive than jigging...... I have caught lakers on all tube sizes -- from 1 1/2" on up. keep switching till you find what they want.
fowl_hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

When jigging, I use a longer, skinny piece. like 1-2in. long, and .25 in thin. Yes, the fresher the better! I prefer larger suckers, with bigger scales. I feel they hold the jig better, and the larger scales are alittle more flashy. Make sure that there are no scales on the hook pt. That will interfer with your hook sets.
JohnnyO19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your ideas guys. This is just another reason that I think this site has punched way out of the normal `hide everything` fishing site syndrome. If you really want to see how the `other side` lives just try talking about Walleye fishing in Minnesota.............. what a bunch of snobs and babies.

Unbelieveable !!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya on the water!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
If you really want to see how the `other side` lives just try talking about Walleye fishing in Minnesota..............* what a bunch of snobs and babies.
lol you definitely have that right.

I generally tip the tube jig with a pretty small piece, maybe 1/2" by 1/2", or a 2" strip that's pretty thin...either seems to work equally well. Most of my lake trout experience comes from ice fishing though...

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in