Horsetooth 10/25 shore fishin' - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Horsetooth 10/25 shore fishin'

I am headed out there tomorrow around 4:30-5:00. I plan to start in South Bay by the swim beach and work the shore line out into the main lake, hopefully all the way over to inlet bay. Lookin to cover some water throwin cranks and dead roddin some crawlers on a jighead. Don't plan on staying too late, but if the fishing was good I would not leave. Just wondering if anyone would want to come along.
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Horsetooth 10/25 shore fishin'

Eyehunter if I lived closer to Fort Collins I would in a minute...if I left work at 3pm...and that is going to happen!...good luck!!...
Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hopefully I can hook up with you and Neal on Sun/Mon at Aurora. I got to get the skunk off me soon...lol.
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've only tried Horsetooth in my float tube with moderate success. I have never fished it from shore but am looking for a place to go on Thurs. Was planning on the dream stream but this storm makes me want to change my mind and go some place closer and lower. Have you done much shore fishing there and if so to what degree of success? Could be a possibility. I know I have to get out somewhere. Some eyes or small mouth would be fun. It sounds like you fish there often. What kind of cranks do you throw?
Bsquare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have fished out there more this year.* Shore fishing can be tough there in my experience.* This spring I did well in Inlet bay from shore for eyes, but not so much since than.* Smallmouths seem to be plentiful, but haven't had much luck getting ones with much size.* For cranks I am thinking mainly of trying suspending type baits, probably X-raps and rouges primarily, as well as using some spoons.* With the low water levels there now, shore fishing is much easier, yet a lot of water to cover.* I have pretty much narrowed down my fishing to either south bay or inlet bay.* They both seem to hold good numbers of fish year round and are reasonably accesible by foot.* I truly would prefer to fish off the south damn, but it is no access these days.

Edit - the weather report doesn't look great for today, but I have had much better luck on the front end of a storm as apposed to the back end.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I too think the front end of the storm is more productive. However, I can't get away today. Now I'm hearing clearing by noon tomorrow so we'll see. I may even putter around on the Poudre through town. I've seen a couple tempting reports on here about that. The snow may be an adventure though. Good luck!
Bsquare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey Eyehunter, have you hit, or heard anything about Lake Loveland lately?
JohnnyO19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO19
Hey Eyehunter, have you hit, or heard anything about Lake Loveland lately?
Haven't been in a couple of weeks. The area around the inlet has to hold fish, but man does it get pressure. I usually go weekdays or really early before work. I have heard there is a healthy population of eyes in there, just haven't put in much time to figure it out.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

We did VERY well there last spring, when the water was still high. Mainly fished the West side of the lake. Never really fished the inlet due to the fact that's it's usually packed.
JohnnyO19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've done really well at times for smallies and walleyes fishing Santanka Cove from shore. It's a little bit of a walk to get to the shore, but it's worth it, IMO. As for Lake Loveland, the inlet is overrated, IMO. There are walleyes and smallies scattered all along the riprap. I've actually caught more fish near the parking lot, right by the statue, then I have by the inlet.
milehighbassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in