Sign The Petition To Protect Big Laketrout - Page 2 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Sign The Petition To Protect Big Laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFishingBear
however, your all over 30" must be released is bs.
Can you please explain why its b.s.?

Thx

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_In_Parker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFishingBear
however, your all over 30" must be released is bs.
Can you please explain why its b.s.?

Thx

[me=Jay_In_Parker]* [/me]
I think most average anglers want to take home a trophy fish... where I dont have a problem releasing everything over 25 inches someone catching their first 30+" laker would be a fish of a life time type thing.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to work2fish

I caught a 36" laker last year at Granby and it was the largest laker I'd ever caught. I did try to release the fish, but it never regained its equilibrium and the fish did not survive. At the time, I had not heard of the "spearing method" in which you spear the fish headfirst back into the water and can't help but wonder if this might have helped.

The DOW gives some guidance on proper ways to release fish, in the Fishing Regulations Brochure, page 5 under "SPECIAL CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS", item 14:

14. RELEASING FISH YOU CATCH: Fish MUST be released alive immediately in same water where caught. Returning fish alive is not simple. Some ways can kill them. For the best chances of survival:
(a) Do not play fish to exhaustion.
(b) Keep fish in water as much as possible when handling and removing hook.
(c) Remove hook gently; donít squeeze fish or put your fingers in gills.
(d) If deeply hooked, cut the line. Do not pull hook out.
(e) Release fish only after its equilibrium has recovered. If necessary, gently hold fish facing upstream and move it slowly back and forth. Release in quiet water.
(f) In catch-and-release waters, strongly consider barbless hooks.

So the spearing method is not even mentioned or recommended -- should this be updated? I will also admit that, for better or worse, I have allowed a fish to "recover" in the livewell (often with the help of my daughter who keeps the fish upright and moves it slowly back and forth for a while), then release it back into the water afterwards. Feel free to let me know the error of my ways...

IMHO, with a large fish on the line, it is also sometimes difficult to avoid playing the fish to exhaustion as it takes some time to bring it in simply due to the fact that it is a tenuous situation which really tests your angling skills as well as your equipment. The fish I caught was fighting very hard and made several runs to deep water and around the boat, against the drag, as I tried to bring her in. With lakers, there is often the added complexity that you are often bringing the fish up from fairly deep water and I've always heard that should be done slowly.

What are other ways to help in a successful release of a large fish?

In the end, I ended up taking it home and getting it mounted. So I feel somewhat hypocritical in my signing of the petition...
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2fish

I know guides that will only allow use of "heavier" equipment, line, reels, poles, etc. Their contention is that if they can get the fish in quicker and get it back in the water it tends to minimize the stress. On the other hand some say they'd prefer to catch a marlin on 2 lb test and combat the fish for hours and hours. I tend to use heavier equipment for many reasons, one being above.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

W2F,

Id like to comment on a few things you posted. I remember your big laker last year. What a beauty. Ive learned from Laker Undertaker That if the fish isnt responding you should smack it on its ass. It works, I saw it first hand.* Spearing the fish back into the water is something I do alot with good results. That big rush of water across the gills wakes the fish back up. I learned it from watching saltwater fishing shows.

Quote:
keeps the fish upright and moves it slowly back and forth for a while
I heard this is a no no as a fishes gill plates are by design only to work one way. Thus moving it backwards could damage the gill plate. If your in current you should hold the fish into the current. You can also slowly troll water through its mouth while in a boat.

[me=Jay_In_Parker]* *[/me]
Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2fish
I caught a 36" laker last year at Granby and it was the largest laker I'd ever caught.* I did try to release the fish, but it never regained its equilibrium and the fish did not survive.* At the time, I had not heard of the "spearing method" in which you spear the fish headfirst back into the water and can't help but wonder if this might have helped....

IMHO, with a large fish on the line, it is also sometimes difficult to avoid playing the fish to exhaustion as it takes some time to bring it in simply due to the fact that it is a tenuous situation which really tests your angling skills as well as your equipment.* The fish I caught was fighting very hard and made several runs to deep water and around the boat, against the drag, as I tried to bring her in.* With lakers, there is often the added complexity that you are often bringing the fish up from fairly deep water and I've always heard that should be done slowly.

W2F-

Good issues you raise!

As for bringing lake trout up slowly, no you don't need to do that.* Unlike lots of other species, lake trout can successfully make large changes in depth by expelling the air from their swim bladder.* As you fight a big lake trout from deep water you will usually see* great big air bubbles come to the surface as it empties air from its swim bladder.* A laker is much better off if you bring it to the surface fairly quickly so that it doesn't build up large concentrations of lactic acid in the tissues during a prolonged fight.* If that happens, it may not recover and you have literally played the fish to death, even though it's still alive when you release it.

When you say your fish "never regained its equilibrium", I'm not sure exactly what you mean.* But if you mean that it tended to stay on the surface and roll over on its side it's possible that it simply didn't expel all the excess air from the swim bladder on the way up and was simply too bouyant to swim back down.* That happened to a buddy and me with a big lake trout last summer and it happens to others I know, too.* When we went to release it initially, even though it had plenty of life it didn't seem like it was able to swim down because it was still too bouyant. It hung on the surface and tended to roll over on its side, looking like it had lost its equilibrium.* But the tell tale was that it still floated, with a portion of its body actually up out of the water as a result of the excess air.* If that occurs, gently massage the fish's abdomen from tail to head to basically force it to burp out the extra air so it can swim back down.* It works!* You can sometimes actually hear the fish "burp" softly as you do it.

As for "spearing" the fish back down, that technique is designed to help the fish move quickly from the warm surface layers down toward the more highly oxygenated and cooler water it prefers.* It won't help if the issue is the one I've just described.* It doesn't move the fish far enough down initially to make a significant difference in bouyancy.* IMHO.* And I'm not convinced it is really of any benefit with big lake trout in any event.* It's pretty hard to "spear" a 25 lb. fish and move it any significant distance.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Since I never had caught a laker of any size im not sure spearing would work or hurt a big fish. I wasnt refering to big fish in this case.

I was going to also comment on the lakers swim bladder but Don did a much better job than I could have ever done.

Don-Is this why Lakers bark/burp when brought into he boat...is that the release of air?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_In_Parker

Don-Is this why Lakers bark/burp when brought into he boat...is that the release of air?
Yes, that's the reason. Air being expelled from the swim bladder.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ok, I thought so.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Don In Denver

These are pictures of that fish we had trouble releasing last summer --- before we "burped" it.* You can see how much of its back was floating up out of the water due to the excess air in the swim bladder.* It had plenty of life, it just couldn't swim down initially. It took us a few minutes to figure out the problem.

[img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in