Split Ring Help? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Split Ring Help?

Does anybody have some insight on how to add a splt ring easily to the front of a sweedish pimple? I've tried pliers, hooks, dime, etc. If i get the pimple on it usually has bent the ring.
thx!
fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to checkers8
Default Re: Split Ring Help?

I thought I was the only one who had trouble with this. I haven't found an easy way, but currently I use an old knife blade to wedge open the split ring and oh so carefully try and work the split ring on. I try not to use this method around the kids because it always results in some rather foul language which aides in coaxing the split ring on the pimple. You don't know how many times I've had to experince this lesson in futility. Some days are better tha others and it most often requires numerous attempts before I'm successful.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ken is correct. Splitring pliers are the easiest solution. My wife has (had ) a pair in her "beading" kit that I've found to work better than the ones in the fishing stores. Sometimes you can turn the split ring "inside out" if it bends, this may unbend it. The other option for pimples is to attach with a crosslock type snap to eliminate the splitring altogether. Good luck. Looney
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to checkers8

Ken - I found a pair of split ring pliers at Sportsman Warehouse in Aurora today. I'm anxious to try them out.* Thanks for the tip.*
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
shutupandfish

Have always used my teeth, have about 487 rings in the lip now. Maybe I need another technique too.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Ken...I figured they made something...hadnt ever noticed them before in stores...I had a heck of time getting split rings off the largest Chubby Darter...painting some up to look like shad and rainbow trout...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Broeren
You need a pair of split ring pliers....they are lifesavers...

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/sho...2224&CATID=115

Can't find the particular brand, but a company out of Portland makes a set that are needle-nose pliers, split ring tip, side cutter and a section in the back to cut tube lead. Use to use them in steelhead/salmon fishing. The link is similar to what I'm referring. I'm going fishing up in Seattle in two weeks, so I'll get the name while I'm up there. If you're interested, PM me.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/split-r...898000265.aspx

Jeff

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all of his money on tackle, teach his children to be responsible conservationists, and most likely have a huge honey-do list at the end of the day."
ColoAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thought I'd mention that my cheap under $5 stamped steel split ring pliers work better than an over $10 forged tool pair. In fact I had to grind the tooth of the forged tool one down narrower just to fit smaller split rings. Also, there are at least two types of stainless steel split rings available - Worth Industries makes em out of thicker gauge soft wire that doesn't close back up well and Rosco uses a thinner gauge spring steel wire with better springback memory and just as strong or stronger.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks a ton for the info all! My thumb says "thank you" as i remove my last bandaid!
fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in