pueblo conditions 01/26 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default pueblo conditions 01/26

the water level on monday was 4854.79, an increase of 1.19 feet in one week, two factors enter into the lower amount of increase last week. one was the below freezing temps, and the other is that the lake is now spreading out more on the west end. the ice still has the marinas locked up. this week has been hell, looking at the lake while it is glass smoth all day long and not being able to git out on it and catch those walleyes, that i know are hungry and just waiting to eat my lures.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: pueblo conditions 01/26

I saw on the news last night, the water level right now is 8ft higher than it was last year at this time.. I would say that is a big difference and if we keep getting these storms every week we should have alot more by spring......
fishinwithlund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

i heard that also but they also said it would git only about 2 feet higher, the only way that will happen is if they start letting water out. and if they do that there are going to be a lot of mad fishermen. if they let some go down to john martim and hold it ok, but if they dont hold it in the lakes out east that would be a crime
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes It's a shame, John Martin. I grew down there. I remember folks out in the middle of what used to be the lake with wagons and teams of horses using pitch forks loading up the fish to put on their feilds for fertilizer. I also remember water running over the spilway, a beatifuf sight, the lake streached clear to Ft Lyons. They were supoosed to establish a permenate pool. I guess a corn field was more important. It's just a shame what has happened to allot of Ark. valley lakes. They just dissapeared. What's a man to do??
lazzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have been told much of this has to do with evaporation rates-a large, shallow lake loses more water thru evaporation than a deeper reservoir with a smaller surface area.* This was the logic they used to drain Antero and store the water downstream in Cheesman, etc.*

Unfortunately, our reservoirs are managed for water storage and irrigation first, and recreation and fishing second.* Many years, they will drop the water level in Pueblo several feet right in the middle of the spawn-minimal effect on smallmouth that spawn deeper anyway but I think it has hurt the largemouth spawns in years past.* Pueblo used to have a great largemouth population but now when people catch what they think are largemouth they are mostly spots.*

Still, Pueblo should be higher this year.* More room to get away from all the jetskies, etc.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

You are exactly right Kirby. Spots tend to spawn a little deeper too. You know when the water does come back up (I guess I should say if) The next few years will be off the charts because of all the under water structure back in the coves.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

there is miles of structure covered now, the water is back to the tressel in turkey creek and at least a mile west of turkey creek it is outside the channel of the river, it is just my guess but i think it will be lake almost to swallows. there are going to be a lot of fish up in all that flooded cover that are going to be hard to fish for, it is time to stock up on hooks, and jigs.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I'd love for it to flood the swallows!!!!

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just a little history-when Pueblo first opened (75 ot 76 I think) it didn't have any smallmouth or spots-just largemouth for bass. I remember I used to go down there and throw small cranks from the bank with a friend-we'd catch bass sometimes on every cast. Nothing real big but 100 fish days were common.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I remember when it was full about 7 or 8 years ago. I took a guided fishing trip and we hammered them all day. The problem now is where we were fishing is dry land now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in