New guy.. What boat for CO? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New guy.. What boat for CO?

New guy moving to CO some time next spring. I look forward to learning about all the fishing CO has to offer, yet admittedly it won't compare to the fishing back home in WA state... When we move out, we will start looking for a family/fishing boat that will hopefully do everything I need for family and fishing in CO. Being from the Northwest, I will probably be leaning to an Edge Marine inboard jet with a kicker motor for trolling and a bow mounted electric motor as well (I still planning on driving back west to fish for salmon and steelhead several times per year). Is there a specific type of fishing boat that guys in CO typically go for? Back home, most guys run welded aluminum boats for the oceans and rivers that are pretty specific to the PNW...

I look forward to someday contributing to the forum with reports, and hopefully not just bad reports! ;-)

Jet
Jetjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

welcome to the forum. I wouldn't think an inboard jet would be worth bringing to colo. as our waters arnt big enough to to need such a boat. I have seen a couple here over 30 years of boating. most fisherman here like aluminum deep vees with 100 to 250 hp outboards in the 17 to 21 foot size. most of our rivers are to small and to full of rafters to run a jet boat in and our lakes arnt much better, a 10 minute run at speed and you run out of water on most lakes here. the state speed limit on most lakes is 40 mph. the other reason a lot of us like an outboard best is we use our boats all year around and outboards are easier to protect from freezing. inboards are a pain to drain all the water out of the engine block all the time. we do have good walleye fishing here, but our salmon fishing sucks, you wont find any kings here but our kokes are poor substitute's. I thought I would miss salmon fishing when I moved here 45 years ago but there is so much fishing here that it takes years to master it all, I am still trying.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Being from the northwest myself the hardest thing about moving here is the lack of public water. Jet bots are definately scarce down here too. A good 17 to19 foot open bow outboard boat is so versatile that's what most guys run. Get used to having lots of company close by when out on these lakes here as well. There is good fishing it's just different. Enjoy the exploration of a new area and keep us posted how its going.
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I want a jet for several reasons, and it's not just for running shallow rivers. I'm looking at a 22-23ft boat with a kicker/Tr-1 combo, and Id probably throw an electric trolling motor on the bow. I want a family boat as well as a fishing boat. For those who have never heard of Edge Marine, you should check them out. They are fully convertible for a fishing boat to a ski boat. I won't own an outboard because you cant run a swim deck with an outboard... The big question I have is whether a boat with a kicker/TR-1 and an electric trolling motor would cover everything? I'm guessing you troll down riggers on places like Blue Mesa, yet would probably need the bow motor for fishing walleye? I would probably only fish for Kokanee, lakers, and walleye.... Btw. In the PNW, we fish year round as well, and all the inboards are self draining. Having a heater is REALLY nice when it's cold.

Last edited by Jetjockey; 08-31-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

Our altitude will effect a none turbo charged vehicles ability to tow a big heavy boat.
You fuel appetite will effect the size of your boat. Much of our water is 40-60 miles or farther away from metro areas. Add a mountain pass or two over 10K.
The deep V's mentioned are about perfect.
Many of us have converted to Kayaks due to travel, boat ramp inspections times and easy access to most any lake.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

My main concern is how to set the boat up. Do you guys troll using kickers? How often do you use electric motors for the front of the boat? Do you use live wells for bait? That kind of stuff. Here is an Edge set up the way you guys are suggesting, with the exception of the outboard, would this cover most of the fishing in CO?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (212.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Another pict
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (140.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

For some reason I can only do one at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (205.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Last one.... Again, I want a boat I can fish out of, ski out of, camp out of, and take out West to fish for salmon and steelhead in WA, OR, and ID, as well as fish for Kokanee, Lakers, and Walleye in CO.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jet, You seem to have your mind made up... so why ask advice on it?

The boat you are convinced about is a bit much for CO... and there are downfalls to it. If you troll as much as you say, trolling with a 23' boat is rough. CO waters kinda require some precision that is just tough in such a big boat. There are 2 rivers in the state i can think of that you might be able to run up with that boat, but not sure why you would want to on the CO... much more fun and fishable in a raft.

If you want a great all around CO boat, think 18'-19'.... 150-200hp, full windshield. A heater in a boat in CO is rarely needed... by the time it gets that cold, we fish hard water. A good kicker is a nice thing to have but only if you troll a ton.. if not, the best money spent is on a great electric with spot lock and auto pilot. Not sure how one would move a heavy boat like the one you speak of, but I suppose there is huge ones... 80lb thrust seems to suffice fine for the boat I described.

Last edited by Oyey; 08-31-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Oyey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in