Pick 5 Walleye Lures - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pick 5 Walleye Lures

So I am gearing up for my first spring chasing Walleye. I plan on sticking with Cherry Creek and Aurora. I have an entire collection of bass gear but not much for Walleyes....

If you had to pick 5 lures for Walleye what would you choose- it would be interesting to see what you use and it might help me figure out what I need to buy...
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pick 5 Walleye Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferg_80002
So I am gearing up for my first spring chasing Walleye. I plan on sticking with Cherry Creek and Aurora. I have an entire collection of bass gear but not much for Walleyes....

If you had to pick 5 lures for Walleye what would you choose- it would be interesting to see what you use and it might help me figure out what I need to buy...

A long snell.

A crawler harness.

1/4 oz jig head

Deep diving crank bait

Either another crawler harness or jig head...

Some barrell swivels and some big weights (I like the 1.5-3 ounce bottom bounders with the sliding clip but some heavier weights with a little bit of line and a swivel to slide on works good too)
daWOOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

ditto what dawooke posted, nightcrawler 1st choice, leech or a minnow.
minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have read a lot about cralwer harness but have never used one. I assume you just tie them on the line? Do you use a bottom bouncer with that? Any reading you can reccomend for a 1st time crawler harness user would be much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
shutupandfish

During Spring you will have to realize that walleyes might be hungry, but they are cold blooded creatures and they don’t want to move to far to catch there next meal. They will react like they would if they were in cold front conditions. *

Whether you fish during the day or night, the fish are rarely deeper *than 30 feet. Many are shallower than 15 feet, and at night, 2 to 8 feet *is common. There are some advantages when the fish are this shallow. *

A >>variety of different methods<< will take early spring walleyes, since the fish’s general attitude can range from aggressive to neutral. *Location is easy, but the fish are often extremely spooky.

Jigs and live bait rigs are generally your best choices for this period. *The simpler the better. *Small jigs, tipped with a small minnow, are perfect. *Fish bright or fluorescent colors in dirty water, and natural or subtle colors in clear water. Use 1/8 *to 3/8 ounce jigs, depending on the depth or current conditions you are faced with. The real importance lies in the speed at which you present the jig. *As long as it is slow and close to the bottom, you’re all set. *The water temperature is cold, and the walleyes are lethargic.

Bferg do you have boat? Think I recall you said something about canoe. Anyway, attack these early spring "eyes" from shore!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do have a canoe...what is the advantage in fishing from shore during spring?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferg_80002
what is the advantage in fishing from shore during spring?*
They are shallow in the spring, it's the best time to get some from shore IMO.
atownbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
laker taker

For year around, open water walleye's.

1. lindy rig components
2. Husky jerk
3. round jig heads
4. shad rap
5. slip bobbers
Not neccesarily in that order and just my opinion.

Slip rigging live bait, wide wobble stick bait, the ever versatile jig head (what can't you do with it?), tight wobble crank and slip float for deadsticking or live bait presentations to spooky fish.

That should simply cover all the major methods allowing you to fish a variety of ways without alot of money. I like slip rigging live bait. I'm not a big bottom bouncer/crawler harness fan, although millions of eye's are caught that way and if done right (with precision) is a deadly technique.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have alot of lures I love using for walleye, but the all time greatest Eye lure- a 1/4 ounce ball head jig, whether tipped with a leach, minnow, or worm. When the fish are slow, barely drag it on the bottom with the above bait and a twister tail. When the fish are active put on a plastic with a boot tail and retrieve it like a rapala. You can catch eyes anywhere anytime with this.

If you want to mix it up, especially when the fish are up and feeding - suspending jerkbaits are a blast. Typically Walleye are light hitters, something about a fast moving, erratic, jerkbait makes them just crush it, I have had night time walleye "beach" themselves trying to get a Husky Jerk.

I would fill the other three choices out with tube jigs, shad raps, and crawler harnesses.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

when you guys say jigs, do you mean tubes?like rootbeer color? I bought some *2 1/2"yum craw bugs,and some Gary Yamamoto 3" pumpkin black flake.Is that a good start? I love to jig rather then troll. what do guy think?
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in