Question about a 2001 Yamaha 9.9 hp 2 stroke - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about a 2001 Yamaha 9.9 hp 2 stroke

Hey folks,
I was wondering if any of you know enough about little Yamaha 2 strokes to answer this question. I have a 2001 9.9 hp, and was running near full throttle last week when the motor just stopped. No sputtering, no rough running ... went from nearly open throttle, little boat up on a plane, to shut off (damned near threw me from the boat). Wouldn't start afterward. Not even a chug.

Ran the electric and paddled the 3.5 miles back to the house. Started on the first pull back at the house and idled just fine. Started and idled just fine when I removed it and prepped it for storage.

Does anybody know if there is a overheat-kill feature on this motor? I was talking with somebody afterward and they made it sound like the motor would shut off if the engine got too hot, but I don't recall having read about that in the manual.

Any thoughts? Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Best regards,
Dogwood
dogwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Disclaimer: I have limited experience working on boat motors. I've rebuilt two Sea Doos and a Volvo Penta but I'm not a mechanic!

It sounds like the piston may have seized causing the motor to shut off immediately. Pistons expand with heat and after cooling down, the piston may have become unstuck allowing the motor to start again. First thing I would do is check/change the oil and see the condition and look for even the smallest metals shavings. Drain the oil and run a magnet around the drained oil and see if it picks up anything.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Disclaimer: I have limited experience working on boat motors. I've rebuilt two Sea Doos and a Volvo Penta but I'm not a mechanic!

It sounds like the piston may have seized causing the motor to shut off immediately. Pistons expand with heat and after cooling down, the piston may have become unstuck allowing the motor to start again. First thing I would do is check/change the oil and see the condition and look for even the smallest metals shavings. Drain the oil and run a magnet around the drained oil and see if it picks up anything.
Hopefully not...
Sounds electrical to me. Could be a bad connection somewhere that expands to the point of contact loss with heat and re-contacts when cool. Those can be a hair pulling nightmare to track down.
Best of luck!
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood View Post
Wouldn't start afterward. Not even a chug.
Was it turning over?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Was it turning over?
Isa pull start bro
Old 01-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey folks,
I was wondering if any of you know enough about little Yamaha 2 strokes to answer this question. I have a 2001 9.9 hp, and was running near full throttle last week when the motor just stopped. No sputtering, no rough running ... went from nearly open throttle, little boat up on a plane, to shut off (damned near threw me from the boat). Wouldn't start afterward. Not even a chug.

Ran the electric and paddled the 3.5 miles back to the house. Started on the first pull back at the house and idled just fine. Started and idled just fine when I removed it and prepped it for storage.

Does anybody know if there is a overheat-kill feature on this motor? I was talking with somebody afterward and they made it sound like the motor would shut off if the engine got too hot, but I don't recall having read about that in the manual.

Any thoughts? Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Best regards,
Dogwood
Can't offer much help but the way it quit sounds like ignition. Install spark tester between ignition wire and plug. Run it and see if she quits. Check some yami forums?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
P I K E

Sounds to me like it's the CDI or Coil pak heating up and cutting out! Check iboats.com forum for problems and fixes! Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/Yamaha-Outboards/Problem

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html
Old 01-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
Isa pull start bro
He was likely asking if you could pull the rope and feel the piston move, or if the engine was seized......
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
Isa pull start bro
Quote:
Started on the first pull back at the house
I missed that detail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post
He was likely asking if you could pull the rope and feel the piston move, or if the engine was seized......
Yes exactly! Technically a pull start could still not turn over... the string/cable would just be stuck and it would tell you it the piston was seized

I had a friend seize his dirtbike in the desert and you could stand on the kickstart without it budging. He let it cool down, added some oil and kicked the piston loose. Rode the rest of the weekend!

He took it home and rebuilt the top end and it kept running until he sold it. I was surprised he didn't do more damage (or maybe he did) riding it after it seized but he didn't grenade the motor so I guess he got lucky.

Last edited by dallasdb; 01-13-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think you should get a new one so you don't make me paddle the next time I visit.
ppark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in