Wiper Summit 2016!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
P I K E

Default Wiper Summit 2016!!!

First I would like to thank Neal/CO & Greg Austin for organizing this event and getting it off the ground...KUDOS!!! They had a great turn out for this event, so great it shocked the CPW biologists with amount of interest in this matter! Some in attendance and excuse me if I forget some, Grababrewski, Zman, James and the kids, Eric Allee and Jeremy, Boondock, Oyey, Bobys, Neal's wife Kelley, Brian, finally got to meet Powers and so many more I didn't meet!!!! There were prolly about a dozen CPW employees there with biologists from the different wiper regions to answer any question we had. This was more educational than I really could have imagined. I'll go over a bit of what we learned and Neal or Greg can add any other info in that I'm sure I will leave a lot out! Mandy started with the life/spawn cycle of the wiper, the how's and if's of the survival rates to the stocking. We learned wiper are the hardest fish to propagate as everything is on a certain time limit for the female to be perfect for egg take being only a 20 minute window for eggs to be taken at the right time. The spawned fry of the wiper are one of the smallest, smaller than walleye, which makes it that much harder for they to survive along with temp., food supply and predation. Other biologist put out more info on different stocking procedures and the problems they have with stocking wipers in our state like water supply, temperatures and demand & supply!
Q&A came after with Boon and Oyey asking some great question about the state of wipers in Pueblo, slot limits and numbers of wipers dwindling. All questions asked were met with straight up answers without a single shrug or grunt by the participants, very satisfying for the most part as they were amazed at the turnout. We all showed the interest in this great fish and hope to see the CPW continue in the effort to bring the great days of wipers back to Colorado!!! A big THX goes out to the CPW for the way this was handled...THANK YOU!!!!
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

More info please, which waters are they planing to stock them, reducing the limits, slot size, etc...
lovetofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

First i want to thank everyone who showed up! I think they were a little taken aback by the turnout and ferocity of which Boon and some others started discussion period of with, LOL. I just sat back and kind of smiled because I have to have a non combative attitude with the CPW if we want to have a seat at the table.

There were some good ideas thrown out last night and I think a few may have legs? We will see. I loved all the actual biology that was discussed last night and I was shocked to see so many CPW employee's there!! The hour long battle over regs was really frustrating and I am not sure we changed their thinking on that issue? At least we are stocking them again! I hope to have 1000 members of Wiper Addicts next year and we can fill a whole Auditorium!

Last edited by Neal/CO; 02-12-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofish View Post
More info please, which waters are they planing to stock them, reducing the limits, slot size, etc...
Most of the meeting was us going back and forth on bag limits and slot size. Basically they said since the average angler is stupid enough to not be able to tell the difference between a white bass and wiper it makes sense for them to have the same bag limit...I say fine any anglers getting caught taking the wrong fish and make them learn something. They don't seem to think the bag limit matters because it is harder for people to catch them. Doesn't make any sense to me. They begun with the powerpoint basically explain how freaking hard they are to get and produce and even stock, which left most of us confused as to why a fish that takes them so much effort to get/produce has one of the highest bag limits in the state. Where as the walleye that I think they said they have a 70% success rate with, may be wrong on the number, have a lower limit. People could tell frustrations were rising.We were hammering away at the conservation topic and they kept turning their answers into how difficult the fish are to get which kept leading to why the hell is the bag limit so high question! Not to mention they kept referring to the creel surveys being taken on shorelines...that crap is just stupid imo. Of course the average shore fisherman at randy lakes is fishing for trout or panfish because that's the only thing their likely to accidently catch! If the average angler could accidently catch a wiper then they would start saying that is what they are there to fish for!!! The gist I took from it was: other species are more of a money maker, in their eyes, and they don't wanna risk upping populations to destroy other opportunities...If there was a lake with quality wiper fishing, people would be all over it! Just frustrating but I am also thankful that they took the time to even have the meeting, they do care, just not enough They didn't seem entirely against making it a 2 fish over 16" to solve the problem of people not being able to tell the difference between wiper and white bass, but they also elaborated on the process that goes into changing limit laws and it seems it takes a while. They said that they would continue to "manage" wiper at 90% of the lakes they did in the past, just not sure if manage means stocking 1000 fry that are destined to death...
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like you all did a good job at doing my dirty work for me! And Neal was clever enough to let you all do his dirty work for him too.

Last edited by aofisher; 02-12-2016 at 01:47 PM.
aofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
P I K E

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofish View Post
Because of the ability to get the fry or the availability of making fingerlings at the Pueblo hatchery they cannot tell which lakes will actually get the stock, but the 3 major lakes that will get them for sure are Pueblo, Barr and Aurora!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Until they get to 10+ lbs, I will continue to head east.
lovetofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
P I K E

Yes that was brought up also!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wish I could have stayed any talk of stocking wipers in Jackson prewitt or sterling I'm kinda surprised they would stock them in Barr over those 3 places
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
P I K E

Sterling yes, Jackson has a great amount in it already they said so will manage and maintain it where it is at, Prewitt no word but I would hope!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in