Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tiger trout stocked in Gross (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132753)

Colorado angler 02-13-2016 08:30 PM

Tiger trout stocked in Gross

1 Attachment(s)
Thought this was cool, tiger trout stocked in Gross 2015(see attachment) along with the yearly rainbow brown and tiger muskie. Hopefully it becomes a better fishery in the years to come as long as Colorado parks and wildlife can find a more effective way to cull the white/long nose suckers? Not complaining I enjoy fishing Gross but 45% suckers is brutal. My question is how accurate are those gill net surveys being such a deep reservoir? A 0% survey of tiger muskie?? 2012-2015 4,200 tiger muskie stocked, wonder how many muskie will survive from that socking? How can they accurately determine if the tiger muskie will target suckers and not trout?? Because of the large population of suckers being a abundant food supply??

Zman 02-13-2016 09:48 PM

They need to do it to lake john where it will do the fishery, the surrounding community some good...do it to make a destination fishery...Gross (aptly named) is never going to become a destination fishery...

Muskies will eat whatever ventures into their wheelhouse...and yes it will be alot of trout looking up for bugs...and a lot of suckers...

john 02-14-2016 06:43 AM

Zman is right. Tiger Trout or Tiger Muskie could go a long way to removing suckers and improving trout fishing. Back in the day, Parvin Lake (Red Feathers area) was kind of a mediocre fishery. The size of trout were nothing to write home about. After Tiger Muskie were stocked, the average size of trout increased significantly. Another question I have is why more browns aren't stocked in Lake John. I may be wrong but I believe North Delaney Butte Res doesn't have nearly the sucker load that the other North Park reservoirs have. And we all know about the beasts (rainbow and brown) that reside in that reservoir.

Delaney Dude 02-15-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john (Post 1720361)
Zman is right. Tiger Trout or Tiger Muskie could go a long way to removing suckers and improving trout fishing. Back in the day, Parvin Lake (Red Feathers area) was kind of a mediocre fishery. The size of trout were nothing to write home about. After Tiger Muskie were stocked, the average size of trout increased significantly. Another question I have is why more browns aren't stocked in Lake John. I may be wrong but I believe North Delaney Butte Res doesn't have nearly the sucker load that the other North Park reservoirs have. And we all know about the beasts (rainbow and brown) that reside in that reservoir.

Sorry to sidetrack the original topic, pretty sure the DOW believes if they stocked more browns in Lake John they would eat the many fingerlings they put in there every summer. They claimed the gravel filter on the inlet would prevent sucker minnows from entering. The last round of poisoning and reclaiming they thought the filter was totally fixed. Time will tell, the lake is full of minnows now and guessing they are a mix of many things.

Dr Cro 02-17-2016 02:02 PM

Screw Gross, very unapproachable body of water, too rocky and just lame fishing. Sub-catchable trout, yea no thanks.

tangler 02-17-2016 02:09 PM

What a waste.

Good first post, BTW!

Dave M 02-17-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangler (Post 1722169)
What a waste.!

Agreed. Wish they'd throw them in lakes like cataract, monarch, etc.

max power 02-17-2016 04:57 PM

Thats cool they put tiger trout in Gross. I agree that that place is a challenge to fish with all of the steep shorelines, many rocks and snags that steal your lures and the evil winds.
The lake doesn't give up her fish without a fight, but they are there if you take the time to learn the lake.

Colorado angler 02-17-2016 10:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Something mystical about Gross don't know what it is? It is a tough reservoir, I like the challenge. I've had skunk days and really good days. I've been there on a calm mornings crystal clear water and had fish come out of the dark depths and slam my lure its amazing. I've caught everything from there except the suckers. 2009 caught my first tiger muskie 38 inches. I wasn't even trying to catch one. Was trying to learn how use a bass lure and its action because I had been skunked all day. I had minnows fallowing it and I hooked him barley on the inside of his mouth, lure and line were outside of his mouth other wise would have been cut right off. I thought I had a large trout on until I got it to shore. The line broke as I pulled him out then frantically threw him on the rocks. I'm still mind blown and amazed I landed a muskie. Guess you could say I was lucky. Max power I like that she doesn't give up her fish without a fight.

Oyey 02-18-2016 06:23 AM

Had to kill it, eh.....smh