How not to tow a boat and trailer - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How not to tow a boat and trailer

Many years ago, I was on one of my long fly fishing/4X4 mountain pass trips. I drove to Marble then headed over Schofield Pass toward Crusty Butt. Some rate this pass as a tough one, especially at what's called the Devil's Punch Bowl (I don't know the reason for the name) but I did not find it too difficult. On the way to the summit, I noticed the boat with trailer in the creek below the road (see photo).

Someone tried to tow this boat over the narrow pass road and I'm guessing they were heading to Blue Mesa Resv. They were smart enough to retrieve the motor and some years later, retrieved the boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat at Schofield Pass - Copy.jpg (154.0 KB, 179 views)
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

We camped at Taylor Park probably 10 years ago. Took the ATVs all over that area, including that pass. Gorgeous country. I can't imagine trying to tow a trailer up there.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

wow, used to ride mt bike over that pass, jeeps have tough time on that pass, pull a boat....must have been texan, saw a full suburban stuck in creek on top of pass..........texas plates.....
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Used to do a LOT of 4 wheeling and fishing in that neck of the woods, late 70's - the 80's...
Schofield, Alpine Tunnel, Hancock Lake, Tomichi Pass; Cloyses Lake, etc....all around Lead King basin...and the Marble area....
Fun times... for sure...
Was up at RED CONE 20 Years ago and someone had lost a Mini Blazer 1/2 way down the hill on the last hill towards the top... had 330 miles on it...was still upright, to boot...
Never could figure out how They got it down...
Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey bobco,

I resemble that remark about Texans.

A few years after I saw the boat, I saw a TV show about 4X4ing in Colorado. When they did Schofield, the narrator made a comment that the boat had been retrieved by the owners. I'll bet the Forest Service put some pressure on them.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 03-06-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

If only they would warn you not to do something like that.....

Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

A friend and I saw a cop car parked and then some skid marks veering off of Trough Road a few years back, at the very top of the hill just after it steeply declines, with the gulch falling away to the right of the road. The skid marks were about 10 feet shy of where the guardrail started.

On our way home from the float we stopped cause the pig was gone and looked over. There was some fresh twisted metal way down there, I'd be shocked if they bothered to drag it back up. Never heard anything about it, survivors, etc.
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

In times past locals might ditch unwanted vehicles by pushing them over the edge -- out of sight and out of mind. Wasn't legal but a lot of folks did it. We can hope it was that and not an accident.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

albow,

You may have answered a question I've had for many years about a wrecked vehicle. On several occasions, over the past many years, I have fished the bodies of water below James Peak including James Peak Lake. I'll tell you about those bodies in a minute.

When you walk down the trail to Little Echo Lake, James Peak Lake and some un-named bodies, you can look up to your left and see an abandoned pick up truck at an altitude of about 12,000 feet. I have wondered what happened. Did someone drive too close to the edge, was anyone killed or hurt. You may have the explanation you provide in your response. I would think that even if the owner removed license plates, authorities would be able to track the owner through the VIN.

The small lakes below James Peak Lake are ok for small fish but the best fishing is in Little Echo Lake. I did a float tube trip there, many years ago, and caught a lot of 10" to 14" lake trout. There was no surface activity before noon but after noon, the fish rose steadily. We caught them on subsurface nymphs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in