Mystery Lake - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mystery Lake

A good fly fishing/camping/hunting/shooting/scotch drinking pal of mine told me of a lake he once visited and caught some nice cutthroat trout about 30 or so years ago. He never determined the name of the lake. He figured he would return to Colorado, someday, and fish the lake again; however, he can't remember exactly where it is. He asked me to help him identify it. I asked him to provide as much information as he could remember.

I think I know where his mystery lake is so last summer, I took him there. Based on what he told me, it could only be this one location. When we arrived at the area, he said, "no, this isn't it." I still think I'm right and he is suffering from too much single malt scotch on the brain. I'll give you the details and ask for your input.

He was on U.S. 40 south of Winter Park, he thinks, when he spotted a sign on the east side of the highway with "Continental Divide" and an arrow pointing the way to the Divide up a two track road. He says he crossed a shallow stream just after driving on the two track. This road was/is not a 4X4 road. Cars were on this road.

He drove to above timberline to the Continental Divide.

When he arrived at a point where he could no longer drive to the east, he spotted a two-track road heading north and a two-track road going south.

He drove on the north road for about one mile or so. He saw no lakes.

When he turned around hand headed south, he spotted a lake. At this point, he stopped and walked to the lake, which was on the east side of the divide. It was about a 400 yard climb down to the lake.

He was north of I-70 and east of Winter Park.

He remembers this lake because he caught some nice trout.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

30 years ago It's probably a housing development now...I kid...sort of! Have you tried google earth?

~Travis (720)317-9805~
Dr. Joe Siphek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think doc is right...slayer will know...so would Hobie if he still was on here...
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
P I K E

I don't think you can get there from here!

There are a lot of little lakes up in that area, sounds like the James Peak Area. Lot of Jeep trails up that way also. Sounds like it's in the Heart Lake area.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wrong on all responses. I think he was on the Rollins Pass road and was in the vicinity of what is now a parking area on top of the Divide which is as far as you can drive. There was no parking area when he was there. This is not a 4X4 road.

Presently, at the parking area, if you are facing north, you see no road, which is where I think he was. There could have been a road 30 years ago. He said there was a two-track road to the south, which people were driving. I believe this is the road over the mountain that by passes the railroad grade and eventually connects with the Needle's Eye Tunnel on the east side of the Divide. The railroad grade/bed has been closed for a long time.

The lake he saw was either Bob, King or Betty.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

There is a lake you can see from the parking area (not the one you drive by). I'm not sure which one it is, but it certainly could be that one.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in