Removing Hooks - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Removing Hooks

Some of you may know of this but if you don't let me be the first to tell you it works and was totally painless for me.

Many years ago, I was fishing the S. Platte between Spinney and Elevenmile Resvs. I wound up with a #16 hare's ear buried beyond the barb on the left side, below the finger nail of my right index finger. I went to the store near the reservoir and had this procedure performed on me by the owner of the store.

A few years after that, I performed the procedure on a friend's girlfriend with zero pain to her. My friend is a doctor. He told me that in medical school, they don't teach this method.

Depending on where the hook is on your body, you can do this solo. The secret to success is to push down on the bend of the hook while you pull on the line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Removing Hooks.jpg (132.2 KB, 53 views)
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know how to post videos on here, but I had to perform this procedure this last fall up near stagecoach lake on a buddy of mine. Long story short, being a Doctor i was nominated to do the pulling. We watched numerous youtube videos on how to do so and they recommended using a 20 lb test line...we didn't have that we only had 10# test, so we found that dental floss is comparable to 20# test, so we used that. I have a pretty good video...would love to post it!

~Travis (720)317-9805~
Dr. Joe Siphek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

This method does work, but makes hook removal way more complicated than necessary. Just use a needle nosed pliers or hemostats (sold pretty much everywhere you can buy flies and lures). You just get a good grip on the shaft of the hook and pull straight out. Do it quick and it doesn't hurt too much. All the screwing around with a hook in your flesh, (cutting off the extra hooks, trying to get the line lined up just right with the right tension, etc). just prolongs the whole process. And you really do need a tetanus booster every ten years if you are going to be playing with sharp objects like fishooks (yes, BEFORE you get stuck, duh).
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice avatar pic Doc! Post the video on Youtube then you can share it on here.

If you post a youtube video, copy the URL. Do not use the URL when you click "Share," use the URL in the browser and remove the "s" so it is http instead of https and it'll show up like the video below... and Maker's Mark always helps!

dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here you go.

~Travis (720)317-9805~

Last edited by Dr. Joe Siphek; 03-09-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Dr. Joe Siphek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow View Post
This method does work, but makes hook removal way more complicated than necessary. Just use a needle nosed pliers or hemostats (sold pretty much everywhere you can buy flies and lures). You just get a good grip on the shaft of the hook and pull straight out. Do it quick and it doesn't hurt too much. All the screwing around with a hook in your flesh, (cutting off the extra hooks, trying to get the line lined up just right with the right tension, etc). just prolongs the whole process. And you really do need a tetanus booster every ten years if you are going to be playing with sharp objects like fishooks (yes, BEFORE you get stuck, duh).
Yup just grab the pliers and rip it out. No big deal-
slayerfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

That was a big hook Doc!
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've seen the method but never had to use it; looks fun
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Albow, you are a lot tougher than I am.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in