One big tackle box or many smaller ones? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
RD3

Default One big tackle box or many smaller ones?

I have one big tackle box that I take everywhere. It has a bunch of lures, some spinner baits, hooks, Power Bait, sinkers, bobbers, swivels, snaps, leader, scent, pliers, nippers, and on and on. It is a do-everything box. The only thing it does not have is pop gear and large lures for pike and lake trout. Those are in 3700 boxes. Now I am adding kokanee trolling gear as I get more into kokanee fishing.

The big tackle box takes up a lot of space in the boat and I only use a fraction of the stuff in it for the type of fishing I do for the day. I feel that I should break this up into multiple boxes so that I only bring the type of gear that I will need. So perhaps a kokanee box, a trout box, a pike box, a lake trout box, a trolling box, a warm water box, etc.

My question is, have you split your tackle into multiple boxes, and if so, what type of boxes worked best for you? I am leaning toward the 3600/3700 boxes, but I have larger items that will not fit in them. And what do you do with generic gear that needs to go with all kinds of fishing, like nippers, pliers, leader, swivels, etc.?

Thanks,
RD
RD3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Personally, I have my tackle broke into the types of fish I target on most outings. I use varying sizes of Plano Utility Boxes. Some smaller for river fishing so they fit in a sling pack and other larger sizes for holding large swimbaits or crankbaits I use while fishing out of my kayak which fit into a milk crate behind my seat. If I am planning on a long trip with multiple venues I put the boxes in a top opening shoulder bag so I can see the labels.

I have went to extensive lengths to try and minimize taking too much gear on each outing. I had to discipline myself from taking more lures than I can use in a 10 hour outing. Everything is labeled and is kept in a tackle shed where I can see what I have. Large tackle boxes drive me nuts because I can't see what's in them without opening drawers. So I created a shelving set up that allows me to see the labels easily. Soft plastic bait that have factory resealable bags are hung on peg board pins so they are easy to identify and large swimbaits are hung by the tail on hooks to keep them from getting too hot in boxes and kinking or sticking together. Before each trip I grab the appropriate items and box(es) for the type of fishing I intend on doing and load them in my truck.

As for nippers, pliers, and smaller items I attach them to my PFD, sling pack or place them in a box or compartment in the kayak where they stay the entire season; as they don't consume much space.

The trick for me is to spend more time fishing than looking for what I want in a box. Hence the labels on each box (Crankbait, Jerkbait, Jigs, etc) so when I want to switch something I don't have to think where it's at.

I use the winter months for organizing and arranging how I want them to fit in the yak or slingpack and organizing the boxes for what I want to do.

Hope this helped...
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just like Ninja-I have 20 + 3700 boxes, all of them labeled so I can just put the boxes I want in a soft side tackle bag that holds about 6 boxes. I have some empty boxes that I can fill with stuff for a particular trip/species I an after.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

i have been also wondering the same thing. i have been pondering the idea of making some grab bags of gear for certain species. trout bag, walleye, laker, pike. and maybe even a bass one. but it gets tricky because some of the stuff can be used for both species. i think to keep it simple ill end up getting 2 lure x's so one can be in the bass bag and one for pike. etc. my spare bedroom is my fishing gear room. i also have a few dressers in their filled with stuff. stuff piled on the dresses. plus a book case full of planos. be nice to just go into the fish room grab the bag for said species and hop in the truck. vs play 45 minutes of robbing Paul the trout bag to pay Peter the pike bag the night before fishing. i think i have 20 plus planos as well easy.

how much gear does one buy before they are considered self pro staffed haha jk....

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've got tons of different tackle boxes all filled with stuff. I try to keep it organized. I usually will go through all my stuff and narrow it down to what I will be using that week or fishing trip etc., and put it all into a box or two. When I go on bigger fishing trips I take a decent amount of stuff just cause you never know what scenarios could come about.
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got a moderate amount of gear.. I try to sort it in 2 smaller boxes depending on what species I'm wanting to go after. I usually bring a small box full of "skunk killer" lures if the place I fish sucks and I just want to catch something... (Kastys, mr twisters in chartreuse/white, rainbow jerkbait, 1/8 oz jig heads with brown tubes...)

I'm currently sorting it all out so I can mail a lot of my stuff off to my friends house in Florida.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

One big tackle box with a 225 on the back
Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Good thread.

I've struggled with this. Recently ive just gone to a system of a tackle store in my garage and i just nab what i need and put it in a backpack for a certain outing.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

If Carried all my gear around at once I'd need U-hauls in 2 states. Gotta be organized for where and what your after.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in