When in Rome - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When in Rome

I love targeting those huge bass cruising the shallows of Granby. If there not biting I head over to Chambers because thereís a healthy population of walleye and want to land me a beast eye. I bet you didnít know those high mountain lakes Colorado is known for can produce hog sized wiper either. Our cold mountain reservoirs and/or lakes cater especially well to warm water species. I always thought the almighty trout was this stateís premier fish because we have the regional topography to support populations of this fish and was surprised to see how fast warmwater species evolved. Could it be the DOW is secretly engineering these warmwater species to live anywhere? Are they trying to alleviate the pressure put on them by our local wiper mafia? Not likely but it seems those front range anglers were right in that our state should focus less on trout. Alabama has the geographical infrastructure trout need to thrive right? Trout get a bad rap for being top priority. We do have a unique landscape that gives all anglers a shot at an array of species but think the trout is Colorado. I too would like to see wiper, bass, and walleye thrive and agree there needs to be more done. We have the infrastructure but need a few bodies of water managed like a gold metal fishery. Point here being I donít fish halibut when Iím chasing bonefish down in the keys. When in Rome fellasÖ.. we got to embrace the slimer!
Colorado.Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

That sure is a lot of words for a simple whine.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden rod View Post
That sure is a lot of words for a simple whine.
The trout is Colorado my friend..... not that complicated your right. There's a reason Colorado is known for being a trout haven and find it quite entertaining when guys like you think I'm taking sides This state is amazing because of it's diversity but the trout remains king!
Colorado.Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just wish some drunken retard would grab 30 live burbots out of the fontinelle spillway, and dump them in lake dillon. that would be the greatest overkill. it would be fishing anarchy.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado.Mackinaw View Post
The trout is Colorado my friend..... not that complicated your right. There's a reason Colorado is known for being a trout haven and find it quite entertaining when guys like you think I'm taking sides This state is amazing because of it's diversity but the trout remains king!
Have you ever fished in any other state in the rocky mountain region besides colorado?

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Have you ever fished in any other state in the rocky mountain region besides colorado?
I have. Co,Wy,Mt., Or, CA, ND, SD, NE, KS, TX, FL, AK, MN, WI, IN, OH, MI and MB plus ON in Canada.

People with trout want walleye or bass, people with bass want trout, we always want what we don't have.

I like trout, but then again I like bass, eyes, wipers...
pistoldog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Trout will always remain king to guys that can't consistently catch other species
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldoctor View Post
Trout will always remain king to guys that can't consistently catch other species
This ^
Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

A buddy of mine got "schooled" by a crew of, we'll call them "really smart local anglers", when he was walking into Quincy the other day.

"What are you fishing for?", they asked him.

"Bass", he replied.

<with a look of disgust, and a need to show their clear and abundant angling knowledge, they then replied> "This is the wrong time to be fishing for bass, bro...this is a trout state."

"Oh yeah?" My friend inquires...

<now with even more disdain, and snarkiness> "Yep, trout state!"

He just walked away.

Sure, it's a trout state for people that don't live here, or for people who don't really fish. I used to fish for trout a lot. Loved 'em, thought they were the best thing ever, then in 1993ish, I hooked into a 15 wiper. Do I have to say anything else?

Trout are trout. They're pretty, they're fun to pass the time, but eventually, one yearns for a bigger, better challenge. On the front range, and east of, I really don't see the point of stocking trout in waters less than 50' deep. Not too many reservoirs in the metro that are that deep, Aurora being the exception. Aurora also produces some pig ass trout that rival 11 Mile fish. Other than that though, just kind of a waste of money and resources, IMO. I can remember catching trout in Cherry Creek back in the 90's during warm water months, and they'd bleed like stuck pigs and just die when you tried to put them back in the water.

Trout are great for tourism. But like your example, trout in lower elevation lakes are about as worthless ass a large mouth bass in Taylor Park.

I'm sure there's room for both, right?
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Although I agree with you, ATK...... "Trout are trout. They're pretty, they're fun to pass the time, but eventually, one yearns for a bigger, better challenge." this I don't agree with. Different strokes for different folks, but being aware that fisheries can and should be diverse through out the state is important. Don't live in a trout bubble. Shit, I have even heard some people wanting to get rid of their boat cause they are in slight love with sissy sticking.

I think little CM is missing the point. DOW needs to do a better job managing waters with specific species that fit that fishery. Can't just throw out trout everywhere like it's fish welfare.

I even heard a nasty rumor that you been trying to get out with a sissy stick, ATK. Say it ain't so!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in