Things you wish you knew before you started bass fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Things you wish you knew before you started bass fishing

I spent most of last year chasing trout. I've always wanted to get more into bass fishing but never really committed to it.

This year I'm going for it, it's the year of the bass!

So I thought I'd start a thread where you veteran bass anglers can share your wealth of knowledge...

What are some things you wish you knew when you first started bass fishing?

What are some of the best tips you've been told or learned when it comes to chasing bass?
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'll start with the first thing I wish I knew.

It was probably about 18 years ago when a buddy and I went fishing with his dad and he let me try his rod and reel. I had never fished with a baitcaster and just let 'er rip! Had no idea I had to feather the spool and got the worst bird's nest ever. He was pissed.

Flash forward to 5-6 years ago I tried a baitcaster again. Did not know you needed to adjust the reel with each different lure you tied on. After many failed backyard practice sessions I gave up on learning how to cast with it and sold my baitcasting reel.

Just last year I purchased an Abu Garcia Black Max baitcasting combo, did my research and learned how to properly use it. I love it more than my spinning gear. I wish I knew more about baitcasters when I first tried to learn how to use them.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would say I wish I knew how crucial the proper set ups were. When I first got into it I was using crap spinning combos, with shit line, and trying to throw all these different baits I saw people talking about or saw videos of. Sure, some fish were caught, but when I finally made the investment into relatively better gear things changed. One doesn't understand the difference a good rod and reel makes and the sensitivity that can come along with it. The set up might not be making a giant difference to the action of the lure but makes all the difference when you can actually feel what's going on down there. Also, just having more patience. That goes for all types of species though. I used to switch up lures every 10 minutes and what not, having little success. The last few years I became much more consistent in throwing a bait until I got a good feel for it.
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobys View Post
I would say I wish I knew how crucial the proper set ups were. When I first got into it I was using crap spinning combos, with shit line, and trying to throw all these different baits I saw people talking about or saw videos of. Sure, some fish were caught, but when I finally made the investment into relatively better gear things changed. One doesn't understand the difference a good rod and reel makes and the sensitivity that can come along with it. The set up might not be making a giant difference to the action of the lure but makes all the difference when you can actually feel what's going on down there. Also, just having more patience. That goes for all types of species though. I used to switch up lures every 10 minutes and what not, having little success. The last few years I became much more consistent in throwing a bait until I got a good feel for it.
What bob said.

Rods make all the difference in the world.

My favorite lure to use for bass will always be senkos. Followed by brown tube jigs. I've caught more black bass off those 2 more than anything... Although I will say straight up... Nothing is better than a topwater explosion. Poppers, frogs and jointed floating rapalas are fun for this.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

How much money a Bass boat costs you.

If your interested in Bass fishing look for local Bass club. Tournaments are fun but more importantly the wealth of knowledge you will learn is invaluable.
BuckMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been wanting to get a second baitcaster and just happened to be at Dick's Sporting Goods last night when I came across a Lew's Laser MG Baitcast combo originally $99 that was on clearance for only $54... but it rang up at 25% off and came out to only $40!

The two things I'm looking to upgrade is my rod and line. I'm going to try out braid on my spinning gear and my one of my baitcasters. Hoping the braid will help with long distance casts but also help with feeling the bite, especially feeling a bite with a long distance cast.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Honestly I kinda hate baitcasters. I know how to cast them and all, because I practiced enough to at least be familiar... But I'd rather use my pflueger supreme reels. I'm also not a bass guy either.. I just know the basics through trial and error, and fishing hardly pressured farm ponds, lol.

All I know is throwing frogs in summer evenings in weeded slop is fun, and it's what got me my personal best bass... (Rip pella crossing) ... But senkos consistently catch me largemouths.... Small mouths I use any type of Craw colored tube.

I like using fire line a lot with a flourocarbon leader.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Senkos, mister twister keeper hooks with yum craws and throwing spooks at the shoreline at dusk.
fcollinscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

For me, I was not aware when I started bass fishing what a tackle junky I would become and how much it would cost me. I have an entire bedroom in the house devoted to fishing rods, reels, lures, soft plastics (every color and every size imaginable) and on and on.

A bass boat is a major expense but its really just the beginning.

I would not even WANT to know how much money I've spent the past 20, 30 yrs. The upside to me (and to you if you get hooked on the sport)- there is nothing better and not a better species to chase.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

One more thing-buy quality stuff. If you get cheap low quality stuff you won't be satisfied with it for long. Better to buy fewer rods or reels and slowly build up what you have.

I've got alot of stuff-cranks especially that I don't throw anymore. I'll be back in CO in April-maybe I can send you a care package-PM me.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in