Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   And it only gets worse.... (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135114)

WestSloper 03-28-2016 02:56 PM

And it only gets worse....

Spent the morning in my kayak at the bigger gap, caught a few nothing to write home about. Boat ramp is in, lake opens to boaters April 1st. CPW has gill nets in the water to remove all female walleyes. Park ranger said that they've already removed 6 fish over 30", one 35" with a 19.5" girth (17.6lbs) and a mess of mid 20" fish :mad: Gill nets will be in the water all this week, so much for having a decent eyeball lake on the westslope. I'm so glad they spent a quarter millon dollars on a pointless fish screen.... I asked him how many people he's seen keeping smallmouth and he said between 3 groups yesterday he counted 16 smallmouth (8-17 inches) on stringers. Park ranger seemed genuinely upset about whats going on at the lake. He said that himself and a few other employees voiced their opinon at a "employee only" meeting and he actually walked out when he was asked to encourage people to keep every smallmouth. Its really unfortunate what they are doing to that lake.

dallasdb 03-28-2016 03:00 PM

So they're removing all the eyes and smallmouth?

rivrunnr1 03-28-2016 03:01 PM

What is the HELL do they want in that lake then? Slimers? SuperSMH

WestSloper 03-28-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasdb (Post 1757826)
So they're removing all the eyes and smallmouth?

From what he said, they are trying to thin out the SMB and the only walleye they are going to allow are the Triploid Walleye (Sterile) that they stocked last year. He said that he has seen the stocking plan for the lake and its only rainbows for the next 5 years.

vanish 03-28-2016 03:16 PM

As far as female walleye and smallmouth bass, I can confirm WestSloper's post.

In addition, they are removing all the northern pike they catch.

I do not have any info on the stocking plan.

Dakota 03-28-2016 03:20 PM

This sounds absurd... What ultimate goal does the CPW have for this lake? It sounds very confused. What are they trying to achieve.

CF LURKER 03-28-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1757858)
What are they trying to achieve.

JOB SECURITY!

kirbydog 03-28-2016 04:01 PM

Apparently they are trying to piss everybody off-and doing a darn fine job of it.

dallasdb 03-28-2016 04:05 PM

Sounds like this kinda stuff is what encourages bucket biologists to take matters into their own hands.

Colorado.Mackinaw 03-28-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestSloper (Post 1757818)
Its really unfortunate what they are doing to that lake.

Unfortunate is relative my friend. Reengineering the biological makeup of any body of water takes time and only time will tell if the right decisions were made..... if the ultimate goal is to turn it into a stocker haven than so be it..... a prized catch is in the eye of the beholder and enjoying what you have is most important..... chasing that bass or eye elsewhere is going to make it that much more rewarding to hook one but realize it must suck to have something like this happen to a local body of water that you love. I imagine those who are most upset recognize there's nothing the average joe can do about it and/or know something the state doesn't. I'd say take your limit and try to enjoy that piece of water that was once an awesome place to fish.