RIFLE UPDATE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
P I K E

Default RIFLE UPDATE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was posted in Joey's other thread by Bobco and was asked to me to start it in another thread on it's own...very important to the cause!!!

THX Bobco!!!

I just got of the phone with Lori Martin, CPW bio responsible for Rifle Gap. She request that anybody concerned please call her at 970-255-6126. We had a nice talk about the netting and killing of the female walleyes, I could sense that this is not something she is proud of or wanting to do. It came from the USFWS as a condition for stocking tripiods and black Crappie into the lake. As of now no mama walleyes have been killed and no nets in the water. She has been hammered with concerned anglers and has escalating it to upper management. It is possible to stop this now and revisit the lake management plan. I for one would be all for ditch the tripiod stocking and leave the self substaining walleyes alone for better or worse. I have seen a steady increase in the past few years in the walleyees, most anglers I know wont even think about keeping one with vision of a better fishery long term. A little fact is the those walleyees are the result of one single stocking in 1974, THATS 44 YEARS AGO! I think we have a good gene pool for a selfsubstaining population. Please call Lori and plead your case. I think she is trying to do the right thing so be civil, but like I told her this stinks to high heaven and really gives a bad look to the general public that was uninformed. I think a cease netting and new public input meeting is called for and hoepfully we can come up with a livable plan! or email [email protected]
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Called and left a message.
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the news, I just tried calling to get the details. The bottom line is that the westslope stuff is almost never CPWs fault. The USFWS has more control over everything because of the endangered fish. A lot of times CPW shouldn't take the blame.
CadenceKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Transparency would go a long way with that issue....
Old 03-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about those endangered species-I mean if they can't make it on their own screw 'em.

Something like 99% of all the species that used to roam the earth are extinct-nature is a mean mother.

Apparently building dams on free flowing rivers impacted them by changing their environment and efforts to increase their numbers and ensure their survival have largely met with failure. Just how much money does the gov't want to throw at this and how many fish do they want to kill to give these species a better chance?

Last edited by kirbydog; 03-30-2016 at 05:10 PM.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default email sent

I sent Lori an email voicing my concerns as a Western Slope resident/angler. We'll see what becomes of it...
carroth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just had a 40 minute conversation with Lori, they will be holding off on their gill netting operations in Rifle Gap. There will be another round table meeting in Rifle in the next 2-3 weeks to discuss the management plan for the lake and to talk about other management options. She did say that no gill netting has been done (park ranger said they had though so who can you believe) she also said the petition and all the traffic on social media has caused quite a stir with her upper management. She also went into how there is a chance to save the existing walleye in the lake, it will take a lot of legwork on their part. I think Bob is right on that she wants to help, she seemed genuinely upset with the situation. I will keep everyone posted on when this meeting is and it would be great to see some faces from the Eastern slope as well as the western slope, her words were the more people we can gather the better chance we will have!

Last edited by WestSloper; 03-30-2016 at 08:46 PM.
WestSloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the email I sent... you can copy and paste or change it or whatever.

While I am rather ignorant to the real issues, I figured my words are broad enough to voice that a reconsideration is worthy. Feel free to edit so others can use this. Let's fill her inbox with a few hundred of these n

Lori,

Please consider this email as my plea to reconsider the the netting and killing of the current strain of walleys in Rifle Gap. Rather than waste your time with the countless reasons (that I believe you already know) why this plan will ultimately harm the lake, I will simply state that the netting should be halted and a full reconsideration on keeping the existing species should be fully explored.

I appreciate your consideration of my and so many other's opinions on this matter and hope that we can keep this lake the way it is.

Respectfully,
Old 03-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good job to all getting this out in the open with some fast action and support Hopefully before damage is done by stupid decisions.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wonderful news!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in