My first boat!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My first boat!!!

I am so happy today I purchased a beautiful used boat. It's a 16' Blue Fin Superhawk with a mercury 50 hp oil injected motor. This boat was turn key and meticulously cared for. Bud (I think his handle is Rifleman on here) helped me all day and I could not be more appreciative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain Jbo.jpg (6.0 KB, 188 views)
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations!
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Congrats. Winter will now seem MUCH longer.....
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

A mans 1st boat is as good as his first woman. Now go fill that live well!
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

^this! Congrats, Captain.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post
Congrats. Winter will now seem MUCH longer.....
No truer words have ever been muttered!!!! Congrats on the new boat!
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Congrats on your first boat. Lots of fun ahead!

If you are not used to backing up a trailer, I would suggest that you go to a school, church, etc parking lot during off hours and practice before heading to a boat ramp. Also, when at a lake, be sure to prep the boat by organizing all boat gear (docking lines, etc), fishing gear, coolers and putting in the plug (you will eventually forget to do this one day! Almost everyone does.) plus removing the tie down straps- all while away from the ramp and BEFORE you start backing to launch. This allows for an efficient flow of traffic and is the only way to be considerate of those launching and removing their boats from the water. Blocking the ramp is considered a rookie mistake and/or bad form at best and can lead to intense discussions with those who are being impeded by such unnecessary thoughtlessness. Same deal when putting your boat on the trailer at the end of the day- pull the boat out and, only after vacating the launch area, clean, drain and dry and put everything away. Had a clown block a ramp at Chatty yesterday but didn't care to engage so he got away with it. No sense in starting off your boating career in a way that will leave a bad taste.

Be safe and enjoy.

Last edited by rattman; 04-11-2016 at 12:32 PM.
rattman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Congratulations.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you guys very much. I love ice fishing and always called it "the great equalizer" because as long as I was willing to walk I could fish anywhere else another guy could. I could see the comment about winter becoming longer being very true.

Solid advice Rattman. I did back the trailer and launch yesterday at Cherry Creek (BTW the West Ramp is open now which just happened the last few days). The backing in is going to take some practice which I will certainly heed the suggestion about a big lot. Regarding all the other procedural stuff, Bud gave me a great rundown on not being "that guy". I am sure I will make mistakes but nothing like waiting till I'm at the doc to load coolers and stuff. I may have made the mistake about pulling up on the way out to drain etc but I have to say finding a buddy that's good at this has been such a benefit! I have tons to learn and will be doing my best for sure.

This is such a wonderful thing and I have to say one of the things I look forward to most is helping shorebound fishermen get out on the water. On that note I've had a full size SUV for a couple years not and have to say I've really enjoyed the ability to help others more vs. having a car (like towing stranded people to a safe location and helping more people getting unstuck from the snow etc).

Anyways, thanks again guys
Old 04-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Nice boat!
zebco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in