Do I have to buy $200 sunglasses? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do I have to buy $200 sunglasses?

Been fishing all my life-never have owned a pair of expensive sunglasses-Costa, Amphibia, Ray Bans, etc. I've got some Strike King glasses and they work just great-cost me $20.

So my question is-are the $200-300 sunglasses that much better? Because I sit on them and they break or I lose them and I can't bring myself to do that with a really expensive pair.

I've tried some on in the store and they don't seem any different. School me.

Last edited by kirbydog; 05-04-2016 at 06:26 PM.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

nah man. anything polarized honestly. although if you have 250 dollar costas on people automatically know you are one badass fisherman. especially if you have on a huk shirt and those omni shade pants.....
DoctorDooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

No IMO but glass lenses are super nice.
I've had two pair of Costas with 580 glass. Not a fan of Costa. Warranty is pretty shitty. Was $120 to replace a lens after it broke (my fault it broke).
Like my Maui Jims now.... Found a really good deal on them. Around $100 I think.

Check out cabelz if you get a high $$ pair. Helps a ton from losing them. They have a float you can even add also.

It is hard to scratch glass...
Next pair will be Smiths with glass also.
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've indulged in expensive sunglasses for a long time. I've had many pairs of Ray Ban, Bole, Maui Jim, Native, you name it. I now have 2 pair of Costa, and I honestly can't see me ever buying anything else.

Used them for the first time fishing last week at Powell. Water is usually pretty clear up there, but we did fish past the mudline as well. I could see more with the Costa's than anything I have ever worn. Saw all sorts more fish than my dad who was wearing Rx Ray Ban's that were also polarized. I am convinced that a couple of times they allowed me to avoid a whale of a rock just under the surface in the cloudy water.

I have always liked good sunglasses, but I can't say enough about these Costa's. I think they are by far in a league of their own.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

After fishing for 8 plus hours a day and wearing inexspensive sunglasses my eyes would be wore out and painful. Then I invested in a pair of quality sunglasses and didn't have near the pain or fatigue. This was my exsperience with quality sunglasses.
gettin bit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for starting this thread Kirbydog. I have always had polarized glasses under $50 and have done well. However, I need prescription glasses now and I am thinking about getting progressive sunglasses in polarized; either way in this case they will be somewhat expensive.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I own some expensive shades for fishing and I use them only for fishing that way I hope not to damage them on every day use.

I like GLASS lenses because they are less likely to scratch so I can clean them on the water without much concern of scratching. The down side to glass lenses are the weight, they do get heavy and can be bothersome to some peeps.

Do you need to pay a couple of hundred bucks for polarized shades, NO.
Do you need a boat to fish, NO.
Do you need 3 rods and reels(or more) to fish, NO.
Do we need 1000's of dollars of gear to fish, NO.

Point is spend money how you see fit for your comfort and satisfaction.

FYI Costa's will make you a better fisherman.

LOL

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

I got a pair of Costas after my buddy who's a dollar menu guy (more money for fishing) recommended them. I only wear them fishing as well. But now I don't like my cheap car glasses anymore. I keep my Costas in their case in my striker ice suit during winter.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

PS

Will say the first pair of expensive glasses I bought for fishing were glass lenses and I used them for 14+ yrs. The only reason I am not using them to this day is that a lens fell out into the water and disappeared.

I bought those because the cheap ones(10-50$) I was buying would get all scratched up (plastic lenses) because of lack of care. I would go through a couple pair a year so I decided to get a nice pair and take care of those.

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

When I worked retail, I'd always encourage customers to buy mid level gear, at the least.

The cheapos will work, as many have stated. As was also stated, the cheap plastic lenses also scratch easily, so you're likely replacing them annually. If you add up the cost over 5 years of replacing them, you've likely paid for a nice, mid-level pair of shades.

Glass is king, but like others have mentioned, can be heavy and can be expensive to replace/repair.

Also, as CF mentioned, buy up to what you can afford. This is another thing I would tell customers. If you're going to be serious about whatever it is you're making a purchase for, get the best that you can afford. You might actually be surprised in the difference of quality.

With shades, I get the most eye protection in the lenses that I can afford. I wear a $140 pair of Spys. They're equipped with their (at the time) most advanced lenses for UV protection and light filtering. Again, they're not top of the line as far as fishing glasses go, but they were the best I could afford, and they work.
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in