Kokanee Salmon? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kokanee Salmon?

I've never fished for Kokanee, but would like to give it a try. Right now I can run up to 10 lb braid on my rod/reel, (I usually run 4-6 lb for trout). I don't have a boat, so I'd likely need to fish from shore.

I live near Strontia Springs reservoir, which looks like it has Salmon according to CPW- but there may be bettet places to fish?

Based on an internet search, it looks like Fall may be the best time to try from shore?

Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
I've never fished for Kokanee, but would like to give it a try. Right now I can run up to 10 lb braid on my rod/reel, (I usually run 4-6 lb for trout). I don't have a boat, so I'd likely need to fish from shore.

I live near Strontia Springs reservoir, which looks like it has Salmon according to CPW- but there may be bettet places to fish?

Based on an internet search, it looks like Fall may be the best time to try from shore?

Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!
Fall is best but you can catch them anytime during the year if you got a good boat. If not your best bet is the spillway basins of lakes that have a population of kokanees. Usually they wash up below the dam in the river and hang around. Tasmanian devils in pink or chartreuse will work if you can locate a school..

Ps if you're fishing for trout/salmon/char species, lose the direct braid and use a 6 foot flourocarbon leader tied to your braid spool.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips Dave.

I thought I'd edit this post to be clear, I usually run 4-6 lb mono for trout, but my reel can handle up to 8 lb mono or 10 lb braid.

Last edited by Olin; 05-06-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 04:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lots of folks use 10lb braid to a barrel swivel then you can put leader on of choice. Braid makes bites easier to detect.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2016, 04:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wohlford...tiny pink and pink and white tubes in the fall under a slip bobber with a piece of shoepeg corn on the hook...

Last edited by Zman; 05-07-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Zman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in