Colorado gold medal waters? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Colorado gold medal waters?

Hi My first post , new to the forum. Old Colorado fisherman from the 50' through the 80's. I use to fish the Yampa, and the Colorado . Fished from Frazier area to Hayden and Steamboat.,as well as lakes west of Denver. Evergreen, Dillon, and Gross.I have Never fly fished. My question is On Colorado Gold medal waters. that only allow fly fishing . Can you legally fish with light spinning gear and a fly and a bubble. Or just Flies on a fly fishing rod ? I would love to learn to fly fish but 2 shattered shoulders in the past six weeks might stop that. as well as all my fishing. any information will be welcomed
Charlie W B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can use spinning gear. Be prepared for a lotta dirty looks though...
DoctorDooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I will try to learn to Fly fish. I already have the hat and the vest .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dont be scurred of the haters on the river. Being versatile is more fun. I often can be seen with a flyrod and a spinning rod on rivers. I like the spinning rod for probing deeper holes and well that wind thing is a biatch for the flail stick.
Biggie Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can use spinning gear/tackle which includes flies/lures/plastics(some stipulations on plastics longer than 1.5 inches on some waters read the regs for that water) on Gold Medal waters...if you want really dirty looks throw a 5 inch rapala or bigger swimbait...jig and a twister tail for stream trout is deadly...or shad paddle tails...find some that look like rainbow trout...tube jigs too in browns and green pumpkin...I see you are from Texas just go bass fishing for trout...amazing how well lipless cranks work for trout on still water...
Old 05-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks. I will be looking for a decent fly rod and reel that will not cost me a boat load of money, any recommendations?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

garage sales and crags list, maybe the want ads. lots of folks give it a try, buy good equipment, and then sell them. if you're serious about taking up the sport, it would be REALLY smart to take a lesson or hire a guide for a day that specializes in instruction. It'll be the best money you ever spent fishing. get a feel for the equipment, then decide what you want to buy. then, when you go ... might be wise to bring both spinning equipment and fly gear ... fly gear will frustrate you at first, so it's nice to be able to put it all away, pull out the spinning gear and keep fishing.

fwiw, I've never seen nor heard of the stink-eye some folks are talking about here from the fly guys. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I feel its more the exception than the rule. Good luck!

Dogwood
dogwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Advice

Great advice Dogwood. I understand frustration in fishing. I switched from a cheap zebco closed face reel (as a kid), then Switched to Spinning (Hated it) Then When I started bass fishing everyone said it must be bait cast. I fished salt water as well as fresh water and used the same Ambassidor 5000 reel. I later switched to strickly Shimano bait cast . I must of went through 3 or 4 or more boxes of line trying to be able to cast 3/16 oz worm weights and worms without back lashing, and the line being bird caged and looking like steel wool . Now I can hit about 90% of the targets I aim for, With some good distance. And I can lay a plastic worm at the fishes nose when I flip.with only 1 or 2 backlashes I can remove. I have an abandoned football field real close to my house, I will be able to set out there for days until I can use a fly rod without tangling myself in Fishing line. Thanks
Old 05-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

One other thing to be aware of is that not all Gold Medal water is flies only or flies and lures only.

You can actually bounce worms along the bottom in some sections.
BadHeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 05:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Charlie

Some of the fly guys will get their panties twisted, but most of us just fish and could give a crap about how you get it done.

I fish with my kids on those waters and we use a combination of Fly Rod and Spinning Rod.

Most of the Gold Medal for the state are Fly and Lure. Which ones are you saying are Fly only? I really don't know of many

Colorado, yampa, Gunny, etc. etc. are all Fly and Lure.
Falling apart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in