Why not a launch fee? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why not a launch fee?

I fish TX alot and they have launch fees at most all of their ramps-usually $5 or $10.

So it got me to thinking-on those lakes that close the ramp long before the lake ices, if they charged a launch fee maybe that would allow them to stay open to ice on. CPW is always saying they don't have the funds in their budget-a $5 launch fee might be enough to keep it open. I'm not excited about spending more money but if you could boat at Cherry Creek or Chatfield a month longer, wouldn't it be worth it?

Last edited by kirbydog; 05-11-2016 at 06:12 PM.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Launch fees would keep a lot of idiots off the lake as well!

They could even do launch fees after the lake reaches a certain capacity.

I've been to the crack on a busy weekend when I had jet skis and I can't tell you how many idiots launch their boat then park it on the beach and basically use it as a giant radio. The lake was near empty, yet it was at capacity with all the boats parked on the shoreline. My rant is over.

Anyway, I think launch fees during certain times would be a decent idea. Launch fees during the period when they normally close the ramp or during peak usage? That is the question.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

the problem with a fee like that is how much it would cost for people who fish10-15 days a month. in Tx a lot of boats are kept at marinas and they are not expensive there. here the cost of a dock space is very high and very limited. some of us fish as much as 120 days per year.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most ramps have an annual fee just like an annual parks pass-$100 or so gives you launches for a year. Not sure it makes sense-just trying to figure out a way to keep lakes open longer.

Walleye S-Your're right about other states-I keep a boat in a marina in TX, its covered, on a lift so its not in the water, has water and electric and security and costs $200 month.

Last edited by kirbydog; 05-11-2016 at 08:17 PM.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

In the past, I've emailed that as well as some other suggestions to the woman who is in charge of CPW's ANS rules. I can remember at least 3 times I emailed never received a response back.

Also corresponded with the head ranger at 11 Mile, Stagecoach, and Steamboat Lake, among others (they referred me back to CPW).

The state isn't interested in ways to keep the lakes open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

The powerbaiters will still come and line the banks.
Grumpie. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

its because cpw likes you to have balls and fish from a canoe for ice out bites

since im young and dumb i like they keep all the boats off the hot ice out bites just for me in the canoe tl1000r joked the other day while were in the canoe in white caps... he goes if you fall in now you DIEEEEEE... only a couple waves came over the back of the canoe.

sometimes i wonder if their backwards logic sometimes isnt in secret to protect the big trophy fish we all love.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am happy with having the beginning and end of the season left to those who want to work for it. I do my ice off/on fishing with my ass in the water fining my pontoon or bellyboat around. It is nice not to have to deal with wakes and noise.

Last edited by bugz; 10-27-2017 at 02:48 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am almost certain that there are lakes (Spinney) that do not allow any boats including hand launch when the ramps are closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I used to live in Austin and almost forgot about the launch fees until I was scouting the Tulsa, Oklahoma area a couple weeks ago. The way it is at Lake Skiatook in okie is $5 launch fee per day or $40 for annual. Pretty nice - I saw no chains or restrictions. Colorado doesn't want to and won't figure out a program like this. Colorado likes to raise fees and reduce access.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in