Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Crawdads in Wash Park

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ColoGregS 
#1 ·
I want to trap some crawdads, but curious if you guys think they would be safe to eat from Smith lake?

#2 ·
Considering the swim beach has been closed since the 1950's due to pollution... I personally wouldn't eat them.

I think you'd be better off driving outside the city and finding irrigation ditches or something with a consistent flow of water.

Search the archives here, there are a few threads about catching crawdads around Denver and one in particular I'm thinking of when they said they ate them and they tasted nasty.

#8 ·
"Crawfish" are omnivorous... means they will eat almost anything. If a pond or stream smell oily or funky I would not eat them . If I remember right a lot of runoff from Denver streets flows into smith lake. Petroleum leaking from auto's will sooner or later find it's way into a ditch or pond then lake. Crayfish must be purged before boiling, If it was me I would purge and rinse the critters 2 or 3 times just to get the funk out. Saying that I would not eat crawfish from a small pond like Smith lake. Try to find a semi-sandy bottom pond or creek to harvest Crawfish, Crayfish, Crawdads, mud bugs. Set a few of these out for a day and get a mess of them to eat 'm'up http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Crawfish-Trap

#15 ·
ive been wanting to try some 11 mile lobsters and not the toothy poor mans kind... id also probably try purging them. locals of area even purge 11 mile lobsters. no radiation in 11 mile bet they are cleaner than the oceans...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.