Near Colorado Springs Fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Near Colorado Springs Fishing

Hi Everyone. Looking to take the kids fishing near Colorado Springs because they don't have a lot of patience. We are catch and release. Just trying to find somewhere that they can have fun. Went to Quail Lake and no luck, Pikeview and no Luck. Tried Worms and Powerbait for them. I used panther martins, rooster tails and No luck. Any species is fine.
sweat044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pueblo res right now with a bobber and a leach will yield fish...especially early in the AM or later in the evening. Kids love fishing that way most of the time. Right in Springs, I haven't had much luck. Monument lake is good for trout (I think it still has them, I'm no expert on that place and heard it might get drained).
Old 05-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Kids love leaches more than worms!

I think my kiddos were more interested in watching the leaches in the clear container than actually fishing
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't believe quail did you like that. That place gives em away to everyone.
DoctorDooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know but the big SKUNK from Quail.
sweat044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have never fished in Colorado Springs, and I do not know if these are legal in Quail Lake . But try The original – Pautzke’s Green LabelŽ Balls O’ FireŽ salmon egg . # 6 eagle claw hook on a a 1 ft leader below 2 split shot. Take 2-3 out of the jar and let the dry a bit place on hook and cast out. My uncle got me hooked on fishing some 60 years ago fishing with fireballs . I have never fished Power baitsor worms. so I know nothing about them. But I caught a heard of trout in lakes , stream and rivers using power balls green label. later on switch them to a mepps spinner!
Charlie W B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

For kids I suggest Palmer Lake and Monument Lake. Try a bobber and splitshot on about 3' of line under the bobber. If salmon eggs don't work try a 1" piece of worm on the same hook with no fireballs. Your kids should have fun. You will have a lot of company at either but still have a good time.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the bobber thing!

Also, three years ago a dude at WalMart turned me on to Salmon Peach Power Bait. Killah at Quail! Carolina rig with 4 pound leader and a #10 hook. Make sure the hook with Power Bait is at least 18 inches below the sinker, to float above the weeks. Best bite is either side of mid morning, or late afternoon. Or throw yellow with black spot Panther Martins. At Monument Lake try Salmon Peach, or toss a 1/4 ounce gold with trout pattern Kastie.

Last edited by I M Rusty; 06-01-2016 at 07:14 PM.
I M Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutBumWannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaboom View Post
For kids I suggest Palmer Lake and Monument Lake. Try a bobber and splitshot on about 3' of line under the bobber. If salmon eggs don't work try a 1" piece of worm on the same hook with no fireballs. Your kids should have fun. You will have a lot of company at either but still have a good time.
I agree with jkaboom. Monument Lake and Palmer Lake have easy access for kids and there's plenty of room. I have had success there using vibrax spinners as well. My 5 year old son has fished both of those locations with no problems.

Good luck out there!
TroutBumWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Skaguay Reservoir is on the west side of Pikes Peak and is at the base of the mountain. It is accessible by car. I've never fished it but recently, I saw a show about the lake. It looks like a "put-n-take" lake (they put them in and we take them out). This means they stock a lot. I'm sure you can use just about what you want. I do not know the access route.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in