Yet another new guy with lots of questions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yet another new guy with lots of questions

Hi All,
I'm a longtime Colorado transplant (1983) and, just retired, have decided to take up fishing. Seriously. Other than the little bit of fishing I did as a kid I know very little about fishing.

I have my dad's old Shakespear spinning real and his old fly fishing reel, too, but I've never fly fished. I also recently purchased a cheap spincaster reel - Zebco, of course. I tried it out from the shore around Sylvan Lake State Park last week. I actually caught an 11" rainbow on a black "Wolly Worm" spinner kind of thing with it after casting about a thousand times in about 20 different places along the shore. Later I saw another spincast guy who just got there and he was just dangling salmon eggs about 10' down right next to the dam and he pulled out several rainbows.

I had talked with the Park Ranger guy prior to this when I got there and he told me that they don't allow "live bait". So when I saw that guy getting trout on his salmon eggs it got me to wondering - are salmon eggs considered "live bait"? I went to the 2016 CO fishing brochure and it only defines "bait". It does use the term "live bait" but doesn't define it anywhere in there.

Also - Given that Colorado is mostly rivers and streams, am I better off starting in with fly fishing right from the get go? I don't have a boat either (yet - heh heh).

I'm heading up to the Roaring Fork area next week for a couple days - Difficult campground. I'm not familiar with the area at all but I've read some stuff online and in the CPW brochure so I know about Gold Medal waters and 16" minimum and catch and release, but, are there any places around there that will afford a spin caster guy a chance? Or is it pretty much you need to be fly fishing to have any success around there?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom imparted.
BigL0256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Live bait is swimming bait. Not wiggling worms either.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I suggest you do a run or two on YouTube and get some basic pointers there with some video instruction. Many rules of thumb apply, but then you fine tune for each individual fishing situation.
Pokemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the definition of live bait. I found some (what I think) are some good instructional vids on fly fishing at http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/.
BigL0256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default difficult campground

Difficult campground is if your coming over independence pass is on the west side.To get to the roaring fork you will have to drive through aspen to Basalt,about 20-30 miles.Right now the fork is very high.If you go to Basalt stop in at taylor creek fly shop and talk to Kirk Webb or any of the other guys thereabout conditions and where to fish.I also forgot to mention the bears,Aspen has a lot of them.Where this campground is located there is bears,SPRINGTIME.

Last edited by btaylor; 06-05-2016 at 07:34 AM.
btaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in