A Crappie Father's Day - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A Crappie Father's Day

It's official... I BEAT THE SKUNK!!!

My family is absolutely loving this heat. Friday evening we went to the park and the kids played in the water attraction and the playground.

Saturday we went to Union Reservoir and hung out on the swim beach then went home to bbq burgers and dogs.

Sunday we went to the pool and I had "Donuts with Dad." They had a few activities for the kids and dads. We made our own bbq rub and the kids decorated some neck ties made out of paper. My daughter made a tie with a fish on it!

We spent a few hours at the pool then went home to bbq country style ribs and corn on the cob.

Ended our day at St. Vrain where I finally broke my skunk that had been going for a few months! I beat it in great fashion by catching a little 4-5" crappie.

Fishing was windy. I tried throwing a jitterbug for some topwater action but the wind was in my face. Had a few small bird's nests, nothing major but after a few casts I tried to parallel the shoreline and the wind took my jitterbug into the cattails or whatever emergent plant it was and I broke off!

Switched ponds to get away from the wind and threw a 1/4 oz gold Kastmaster. The submerged weeds were pretty thick but it was going well, no major snags.

I thought I snagged a weed until it started to wiggle and I got this little crappie! I was thrilled to catch anything at that point.

When my better half went to get her camera I let the guy swim along the shored, still hooked and it was interesting to see 3-4 other crappies come up from the depths to check out their buddy and swim around him. Quick pic and released him.

Shortly after I hooked up into what would have been my PB trout. Granted it was probably only ~2 lbs but he fought well on my ultralight. He made two runs pulling drag. I got him to within 10-15 ft of the shore before he was running circles in the weeds and he shook the hook... I mean I did a long distance release!

All in all a great father's day with the family.

At times I feel like I live with the paparazzi, she's always wanting to take photos so I make goofy faces and have fun with it!
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a hell of a fathers day weekend. Congrats on beating the skunk!
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Sounds like a hell of a fathers day weekend. Congrats on beating the skunk!
Thanks Dakota. If you zoom in REALLY FAR you can see the fish I caught!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutBumWannabe

Glad you had a great father's day weekend! We got skunked at 11 mile, but I am certain we weren't the only ones. I didn't see a single person pulling anything out of the water. Got to spend an awesome day in a beautiful location. Hard to complain. When we got home my wife told me to go hit one of the closer lakes to see if I could get a bite (she's a keeper). Pulled this hog in. Don't be fooled by how small he looks. I just have freakishly big hands

Here's a few pictures from my Father's day

Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

That tackle box was a great idea!
Old 06-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutBumWannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
That tackle box was a great idea!
Couldn't agree more. That was my favorite gift and my son couldn't wait to give it to me.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

This report rules!

You look awfully familiar Dallas. How old are you?

And any time you wanna fish, let's go. I know of a few family friendly places not too terribly far.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Congrats on getting over the skunk. Got my kiddos into some slimers. I think the best feeling is watching your kids catch fish.
sweat044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
This report rules!

You look awfully familiar Dallas. How old are you?

And any time you wanna fish, let's go. I know of a few family friendly places not too terribly far.
You have no idea how many people say I look familiar. I don't know what it is about me. Dave I'm 31 years young and I thought about calling you but it was super last minute and wasn't planned. Literally decided an hour before we left to hit it for a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat044 View Post
Congrats on getting over the skunk. Got my kiddos into some slimers. I think the best feeling is watching your kids catch fish.
Thanks sweat! I'm going to go back with all my kids, put some nightcrawlers under a bobber and let them have fun with those tiny crappies.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

My gift was actually getting to reel some fish in! My daughter wasn't impressed when she was introduced to her first cutbow.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in