Fishing Around Flat Tops - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing Around Flat Tops

Finally getting my fishing trip to the Flat Tops in. Going to leave after work and get there around 8:00 PM or so, fish Saturday and Sunday and head back Sunday evening. Will post report when I get back.
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looking forward to hearing about that!
pikester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

All ears. Skeeters should be going good by now.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
All ears. Skeeters should be going good by now.
As Slayer said, skeeters were out in force. Slathered a shitload of Deep Woods on and headed out at about 6:00 AM on Saturday. Weather was too nice, in the 80's, sunny, and high clouds with a bit of wind at the lake. ATV trail there is a bit dicey in spots to say the least. I was riding as a passenger when my friend Rich rolled it. Luckily, it did not roll on top of us, but my shoulder was pinned to a tree while Rich and I held the ATV back with my feet. However, we had the poles strapped to the front of the ATV on the rack, and my Stradic CI4 reel busted .My friend Tony also rolled his ATV once.

As for the fishing, hopefully I still have 2 friends after I promised them the fishing was good! I tried metal, I tried Rapalas, I tried worms, I tried Gulp, I tried my go to Joe's Flies, Panther Martins, but nothing. I attribute it to hot and windy weather, with no clouds at all, and not to my shitty skills. Rich did manage to land a 20 inch rainbow on a crawler, Tony caught nothing.

Beautiful area, but tired and dusty after the 14 mile round trip. I walked about 3 miles, as some of the trail was not conducive to good health by staying aboard the ATV. If I go again, I would mountain bike in or hike.

Fished the local river and caught some small brookies and browns. Got to try out my new 14' x 10' Kodiak Canvas tent and my Camp Chef gas stove (cooking da fish).

Will post a few pics tomorrow. Didn't take any fish pics, as nothing that hasn't been seen on here before.

Only caught a few fish in the river, but still a fun trip with friends. BTW, I was wrong in thinking there would be few campers there following the 4th. Camping spots were almost filled completely.

Last edited by muninoel; 07-11-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

The 'Tops don't give it up easily. Right at ice-out or late fall is when you want to hit it. No bugs and hungry fish. Good adventure there!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
The 'Tops don't give it up easily. Right at ice-out or late fall is when you want to hit it. No bugs and hungry fish. Good adventure there!
I think you're right about early or later. Guys (hunters) camped next to us during second hunting season (October) decided to go fishing one day when it was raining and came back with monsters from the lake. I think earlier in the day or towards the evening when it was cooler probably would have yielded better results as well, but who knows. Still fun, except for the smashing of my reel of course!

Last edited by muninoel; 07-11-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't mean to change subject but how'd you like that tent. Have been looking at getting one of those. Thanks.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
Don't mean to change subject but how'd you like that tent. Have been looking at getting one of those. Thanks.
I had the 12 x 9 with wall enclosure vestibule and loved it...however, a bit of a bear to set up, impossible alone, so changed to the 14 x 10 Flexbow, and can set up alone in 15 - 20 minutes, just doesn't have the wall enclosure. Great tents, will hold up in any storm and has never leaked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in