Does anyone own ProNav? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone own ProNav?

I was thinking a couple of days ago how expensive the integrated navigation systems like I-Pilot and I-Pilot link were. I found this solution and wanted to know if anyone on the site owns this ProNav system:
http://pronavmarine.com/features/

I am thinking about pulling the trigger and for only $699 (compared to other solutions which range from 1-2K) I am thinking it is a great investment and would augment my current depthfinder/sonar but from a navigation perspective.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there,
Relatively new to this forum, my sister just bought a house in Denver (burbs) and I was put onto this sight by one of our mutual friends for fly fishing related stuff. I'm a hardware guy too and have been using ProNav for the last 6 months or so...couldn't be happier with performance. A buddy has minn-kota ulterra with ipilot link, after using both, ProNav is definitely more accurate and handles wind really well. Plus their app is pretty simple to navigate, and you can pull route points in any direction on the fly incase you want to be 10 yards closer on the next pass....can change up route start and end points so you can go back through the route backwards. Best money I've ever spent on a trolling set up, and I may have forgotten how to drive my boat because it does it for you!!

If you know the area your fishing you can pull up Navionics the night before and pre-plan your routes/countours, export the routes and import them into the app. Pretty handy if you're a perfectionist haha.

Hope this helps
skifishbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I really dig the concept, but I think they have a very long ways to go... first off,it's very expensive. It appears that it only works with Minnkota powerdrive V2 motors. If that is the case, you can buy a new ipilot system for $400 that fits on that exact motor! So now, you are spending $300 extra so you can use your phone to control your boat. I read the features you get with it, and they seem ok... plotting stuff from your computer sounds great on paper, but with water fluctuation, I really don't see myself doing that, especially when it's so simple to do with ipilot. The next issue is you are screwed if you have any phone issues. Next, using your phone while fishing is way more difficult than using the remote of the ipilot. The ipilot remote is such that you can memorize it by feel, so after using it for a while, you don't even need to look down when you grab the remote to spot lock, speed up, kill the prop, etc.

Anyways, there are more issues I can think of, but really it's not necessary... until they can make this unit at or below ipilot, it's a waste of dough IMO. That said, I think the functionality is there....but by the time they figure out how to produce this unit for $300, Powerdrive motors will be a thing of the past.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

You mean this i-Pilot link?

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Produc...POWERDRIVE-V2/

Looks more expensive to me.... (799$)

What I like to do is set up my tablet with the pronav app, ram mount it right next to my chart plotter and plot my route there, but have other info like water temp, sonar, etc on my plotter. From a trolling standpoint, this works great. I see your argument for the controller, but that is assuming they are already familiar with that platform (most people will have to learn it) and people already know how to interface with their phone/ipad. plus aren't those controllers hella expensive if you break em

Just my two cents, having both displays on the boat has really upped my game
Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

No, I mean this one http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.as...YcIRoCD-7w_wcB

This is the model before the one you linked...it works great. An Ipad or new phone is way more expensive as well... granted, most already have a phone.

The concept is ok, but the price is too much IMO. Mounting the ipad sounds sick... as long as it doesn't get wet.

I have used ipilot for 5 years or so and frankly, I will never own a boat without it (or something comparable). The one this pro-nav is awesome looking, but not for $700... I am kinda surprised that they haven't made it cheaper.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

We may not be speaking the same language here....

The link you sent if for JUST i-Pilot. Not the LINK as well.

i-pilots are $400-$450. You can add it to the v2, but you lose your footpedal and don't have any route creating capabilities on a map. You can record (manually navigate) up to 6 routes, but that's not nearly enough for me. You're missing a lot of the routing functionality over Link or ProNav. If you want to manually control your boat with your remote control, i guess your hyperlink is the way to go...I am far to lazy to be dialing in my route/position and cast/troll at the same time . With ProNav, the boat drives itself....no messing around. If you're running through a route and want to anchor on a hotspot (if you're sight casting) you can do that on the fly. I have a Matte screen protector to see the screen better and a protective case for my tablet (think lifeproof).

I have used i-pilot for three years, ProNav for about 8 months...if I had to do it all over again i'd choose ProNav in a heartbeat. The tracking algorthims to keep you on course blow minn kotas out of the water. This is coming from a mechanical engineer who is pretty meticulous about control.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
We may not be speaking the same language here....

The link you sent if for JUST i-Pilot. Not the LINK as well.

i-pilots are $400-$450. You can add it to the v2, but you lose your footpedal and don't have any route creating capabilities on a map. You can record (manually navigate) up to 6 routes, but that's not nearly enough for me. You're missing a lot of the routing functionality over Link or ProNav. If you want to manually control your boat with your remote control, i guess your hyperlink is the way to go...I am far to lazy to be dialing in my route/position and cast/troll at the same time . With ProNav, the boat drives itself....no messing around. If you're running through a route and want to anchor on a hotspot (if you're sight casting) you can do that on the fly. I have a Matte screen protector to see the screen better and a protective case for my tablet (think lifeproof).

I have used i-pilot for three years, ProNav for about 8 months...if I had to do it all over again i'd choose ProNav in a heartbeat. The tracking algorthims to keep you on course blow minn kotas out of the water. This is coming from a mechanical engineer who is pretty meticulous about control.
I see... good info. I don't think most folks need 6 stored routes but I get it. I use my sonar for most of the stuff you are doing, but could see the benefits of the tracking for tournament fishermen or those who troll hours upon hours. So let me ask.. will the navigation adjust for water depth? Can you drag the line (like dragging the measuring tool in google maps) to change your course?

I dont troll a ton so this will not likely apply to me, but I am interested in where it's all going.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

it may be ok for bass guys but us walleye guys don't use the track much at all, to us spot lock is much more important, you cant follow a track on a walleye hot spot or you will run into another boat every few yards.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey View Post
I see... good info. I don't think most folks need 6 stored routes but I get it. I use my sonar for most of the stuff you are doing, but could see the benefits of the tracking for tournament fishermen or those who troll hours upon hours. So let me ask.. will the navigation adjust for water depth? Can you drag the line (like dragging the measuring tool in google maps) to change your course?

I dont troll a ton so this will not likely apply to me, but I am interested in where it's all going.
It won't automatically adjust for water depth, but if you create your route with points along a given contour, it will follow that contour pretty darn close. If you want to adjust a point, or multiple points, after going through a route and realizing your not dialed in simply pause the route (one button click), put your finger on the point, drag that point closer/further from the contour, unpause the route and go! It's friggin awesome man.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye seeker View Post
it may be ok for bass guys but us walleye guys don't use the track much at all, to us spot lock is much more important, you cant follow a track on a walleye hot spot or you will run into another boat every few yards.
The anchor function in ProNav works great for jigging. I'd say im 50% jig and 50% troll....works great for both.

Tags
pronav i-pilot navigation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in