Seeking advice on places to fish - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Seeking advice on places to fish

Greetings!

I am going to be heading out to your beautiful state on Saturday for a week of relaxation and fishing. I have family in Colorado, so I get out there a couple of times a year with the family. And every September, I go on an annual fishing trip with a group of guys to fly fish elevenmile canyon for a week.

But this trip will be different. I am flying solo, and am looking forward to exploring new fishing spots. My parents have a cabin that is located just east of Buena Vista which will serve as my base camp. I am looking for advice on new places to try. My fishing in colorado is pretty much limited to elevenmile canyon, with day trips to elevenmile reservoir and the dream stream. I am looking to expand my horizons.

My main objective is to catch fish. I love to fly fish, but I am by no means an elitist - I just want to catch fish, and lots of em! So if that means setting down the fly rod and using my spinning rig, then that is what I'll do.

I am not asking for gps coordinates to your honey hole. But am looking for suggestions of places you would try if you were in my position. I am open to streams, rivers, creeks, ponds or reservoirs - it matters not - as long as it holds (hungry) fish. I would prefer to explore areas within a two hour radius of my base camp, but would not rule out a longer drive if you really think it would be worth the drive. But I suspect that there will be plenty of places to try within that radius.

Thanks in advance for any tips, pointers, or advice on fishing this region. I am so excited about this trip that I am having trouble sleeping at night.
JimDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

1/2" piece of nightcrawler under a bobber and you'll catch as many baby sunfish as your heart desires!
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

head west on 24 there are many places to fish, the river, clear creek , twin lakes, mt. elbert forbay, all less than 20 miles of BV
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey man, I owe a dude in Columbia, MO a tip or two for taking care of me while I worked there many years ago... Figure if I give up a little info, perhaps it will get back to him!!! (absolutely LOVED that town by the way).

So... I would suggest trying a few things out. First, the Arkansas river should be in good condition for fly fishing. There are countless pull offs from east of Salida (go east 8-10 miles to Rincon pull off and work upstream) all the way to the headwaters. If you can afford a float, I will tell you it is the nicest way to spend a day in CO. Floating and casting terrestrials to the edges is seriously the best.

Next, try Clear Creek Reservoir for numbers of stocker trout. They can be had on flies or spinners or about anything you throw.. Numbers are great in that lake (just north of BV on 285 by about 15 miles on the west side of 285)... Not a big fish place, but lots of fun and a few kokanee Salmon too. The river below the dam and above the lake is mostly public and great for smaller fish.

Just north of Clear Creek is Twin Lakes. Twin is a tougher nut to crack so without a boat, I won't give it a thumbs up.

From BV, you really need to go up to Taylor Reservoir. To me, this is one of the prettiest places in CO. The trout fishing is good near the inlet and they can be had on spinners, bait or flies.. Wooley buggers work great there in olive and brown. To get there go west out of BV on road 306 (I believe.. you'll have to look this up). This drive alone is worth the time, and the fishing is pretty good.

There is plenty of good trout water around BV, so ask around and have fun. What dates will you be around?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oyey's advice is spot on! Especially the parts about the Arkansas and the Taylor above the reservoir. Take the road over Cottonwood Pass for that one. You can get lots of good current advice from the fly shops in Buena Vista, too.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the pointers, Oyey. That was exactly the type of info that I was looking for. I know that there is great fishing all over the place out there, which is what makes it so difficult to decide where to start. I'll definitely be giving some of these spots a try.

I am driving out Saturday. My brother lives just outside of Colorado Springs, and his property was damaged in the fire back in a few years back. I am dropping my 15 year old son off at his house for a week of stump grinding, then heading up to the cabin - should arrive there Saturday evening. I have to be back in the Springs Thursday night. That basically gives me 5 days up in the mountains.

Columbia is a fun town. Glad you enjoyed it and met some good people here. But one thing is for sure - I will NOT miss the weather next week. They are calling for 105 - 110 heat indexes next week here in mid Missouri. I'd be happy as a clam to just sit on the porch the whole time I am up there just taking in the mountain air. Fishing is just the icing on the cake!
JimDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

For a TRUE mountain experience, hike to a high lake. 11 or 12 thousand feet. There's several off Cottonwood with nice fish. After the 1st time I was hooked!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2016, 04:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDog View Post
Thanks for the pointers, Oyey. That was exactly the type of info that I was looking for. I know that there is great fishing all over the place out there, which is what makes it so difficult to decide where to start. I'll definitely be giving some of these spots a try.

I am driving out Saturday. My brother lives just outside of Colorado Springs, and his property was damaged in the fire back in a few years back. I am dropping my 15 year old son off at his house for a week of stump grinding, then heading up to the cabin - should arrive there Saturday evening. I have to be back in the Springs Thursday night. That basically gives me 5 days up in the mountains.

Columbia is a fun town. Glad you enjoyed it and met some good people here. But one thing is for sure - I will NOT miss the weather next week. They are calling for 105 - 110 heat indexes next week here in mid Missouri. I'd be happy as a clam to just sit on the porch the whole time I am up there just taking in the mountain air. Fishing is just the icing on the cake!
you're dropping your 15 yr old son off to work while you fish 5 days. stump grinding beats fishing any day
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in