The best thing since female anatomy - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2016, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The best thing since female anatomy

Three years ago I replaced my 15 year old bow mount trolling motor on my old tub of a Lund boat with a Minnkota Terrova with I-pilot/spot lock...even though Minnkota's version of spot lock left a bit to be desired since it often took 30 to 45 seconds to find its location and spot lock.

Last year I replaced my 12 year old fish finder with a Lowrance touch screen version that had the Insight Genesis mapping capability to go with my Dr Depth list of maps since like real estate fishing is about location location location.

From fishing with Bernie I noticed how his Motorguide was far more responsive than my Terrova when it came to spot lock and other functions...I also saw the 2 companies claims of the lowrance fish finder and the Motorguide being able to talk to each other...that is control the bow mount from the fish finder...so I sold my Terrova and bought the Motorguide...and yes the Motorguide is far more responsive than my old Terrova...the only feature that was better with the Terrova was the remote in that it had a screen with a digital readout so you could see that the motor was on and what other settings were turned on...the motorguide also had a wireless foot pedal...but I use the remote.

This past week I week I bought the gateway network cable to make the Motorguide and the Lowrance talk to each other...it went together seamlessly with no software upgrades

Sunday I got to use it on Atown which is electric only...launched at the ramp and move the cursor to a mid lake way point and said go to way point the fish finder asked me Engage Auto Pilot in Nav Mode?...I touched Yes and we were off...you can set the speed you wish to go at...at the end of the day we were way in the big bay on the east side so I put the cursor on the boat ramp and said go to cursor and off we went...this will make casting a shoreline in the dark so easy or following a roadbed and it has options for using an S path or zig zag path and a bunch of other options...all I know is I am going to spend a lot less time on boat control and more time fishing...here is a 3 minute video illustrating what I said above...and if u are buying a new bow mount you should consider motorguide...no I dont work for them...but I have owned both...

Last edited by Zman; 08-09-2016 at 05:46 AM. Reason: z
Zman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Now we get to hear from the Terrova owners how happy and great they are so they can feel better about dropping $1000 on a inferior bow mount.

Last edited by Bronco; 08-09-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good stuff Z. Glad to see you got a chance to squeeze in some time to fish. All work and no play.....
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
Know we get to hear from the Terrova owners how happy and great they are so they can feel better about dropping $1000 on a inferior bow mount.
I was happy with my Terrova except for spot lock and that 30 or 45 second lapse to lock in so if it was windy and you were going to drift you kind of went up wind and hit spot lock so the spot lock would engage in the spot you really wanted or you put the nose of the boat into the wind and treaded water to hold your spot until spot lock took effect...my friends had the same gripe that had them...

My Motorguide I can be cruising along at 3 to 3.5 mph and run across a perch "haystack" in deep water and hit spot lock and the motor will jam on the brakes immediately turn around and go back...my Terrova didnt do that...

I believe Minnkota and Hummingbird have the same link type of link to link the units...
Old 08-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Good stuff Z. Glad to see you got a chance to squeeze in some time to fish. All work and no play.....
Yeah Chris work has been bad...I went 37 days without getting my boat out at one point...the weekend we talked that you had 4 days off I got out for 3 hours in someone elses boat...glad too you and Mikey got out...
Old 08-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Very cool information! I own the Terrova and while it's the best feature on my boat, the issues you describe are there. I'm not ready to upgrade but man is it good to know...I also use Lowrance so that's another bonus. My boat has been out for 3 hours since June 10th...SHAMEFUL SHIIIIIT
Old 08-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

than in bad company."

-George Washington
fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how you like it after a year or so.
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
Know we get to hear from the Terrova owners how happy and great they are so they can feel better about dropping $1000 on a inferior bow mount.
Which unit do you have, Tommy?
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Did you just ask him about his unit? No wonder you go to Wyoming!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in