Visiting From Texas - Colorado Fishing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2016, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Default Visiting From Texas

I have just recently landed. I surprisingly got through security check points with 2 strung reels, a bunch of hooks, egg sinks and lures with treble hooks no problems or questions. I will be here for 5 days. I have done a little research prior to landing. I am very close to arsenal park/reservoir. I would love to try there as it seems as they are heavily regulated and hold large fish. If I could have some help about where else to fish? I am looking to catch large fish such as carp, bass and catfish. Trout and pike would be cool too but I am not very familiar with catching them lol. What place is not too far, in a safe area and not packed with people who would be watching you all the time? Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance
Anthony
DadirtyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
P I K E
 
TthePikester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Westminster
Posts: 9,923
Default

Denver metro area look at Chatfield Reservoir or Cherry Creek Reservoir! Lots of carp and smallies!

Forget what the class clown posted!!! I cleaned up your thread for ya!
__________________
I'm losing my mind, but if I keep the part that tell me when I have to pee I should be OK!

Last edited by TthePikester; 08-19-2016 at 07:06 AM.
TthePikester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Fordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: silverthorne
Posts: 1,666
Default

If you go for trout, Remember to avoid what I call the "Texas Heave". You have to set the hook quick on a trout, but don't waylay it like you would a Bass or anything you go after in the gulf. Use a slow to medium pace retrieve unless the fish is swimming towards you. When a trout wants to fight let her fight. Don't horse a trout!

Now most likely when you first start fishing for trout you will catch stocker rainbows. You will think they are small, but you will still want to show and tell your friends you caught a trout from Colorado. You may want it to look more impressive than 10 inches, So one thing every new trout fisherman from Texas should learn is the proper stiff arm photo technique.
Good luck and welcome to our magnificent state!


Last edited by Fordo; 08-19-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Fordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dallasdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,651
Default

Nice Fordo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadirtyFrenchman View Post
not packed with people who would be watching you all the time?
Hey Frenchy,

What activities are you gonna be doing that you don't want to be watched?
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pistoldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Solar System
Posts: 4,458
Default

I thought the Texas Heave was the result of mentioning Romo after too much Tex-Mex and Lonestar Beer .

Welcome to our beautiful state Dirty Frenchie!
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TthePikester View Post
Denver metro area look at Chatfield Reservoir or Cherry Creek Reservoir! Lots of carp and smallies!

Forget what the class clown posted!!! I cleaned up your thread for ya!
Great! Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
DadirtyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordo View Post
If you go for trout, Remember to avoid what I call the "Texas Heave". You have to set the hook quick on a trout, but don't waylay it like you would a Bass or anything you go after in the gulf. Use a slow to medium pace retrieve unless the fish is swimming towards you. When a trout wants to fight let her fight. Don't horse a trout!

Now most likely when you first start fishing for trout you will catch stocker rainbows. You will think they are small, but you will still want to show and tell your friends you caught a trout from Colorado. You may want it to look more impressive than 10 inches, So one thing every new trout fisherman from Texas should learn is the proper stiff arm photo technique.
Good luck and welcome to our magnificent state!

Haha I'll keep that in mind! I don't even think I have the right gear for trout. I love fishing with plastics. And as far as fly fishing goes. My expertise goes as far as watching a 20min video of a guy going back and forth with his rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
DadirtyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Nice Fordo!



Hey Frenchy,

What activities are you gonna be doing that you don't want to be watched?
Some legal stuff over here haha jk. Idk I just imagined like being in a public setting with kids and adults walking around and not making it peaceful lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
DadirtyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldog View Post
I thought the Texas Heave was the result of mentioning Romo after too much Tex-Mex and Lonestar Beer .

Welcome to our beautiful state Dirty Frenchie!
Haha thank you! I brought a cowboys tshirt. Don't care too much for the team but it's a comfortable shirt. Will I be mauled by broncos out here haha jk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
DadirtyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadirtyFrenchman View Post
Great! Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I'm looking at cherry creek. So far it looks the most attractive. What parts of the lake should I fish? Not asking for your honey hole but a good place to start. pm me if you like.
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
DadirtyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visiting from PA 1morecrank Colorado Fishing Lounge 5 08-14-2009 07:59 PM
I'm visiting from California and need some help. dman614 Colorado Fishing Lounge 4 08-10-2008 10:27 AM

» Forum Search
» Insurance
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.