Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Prop for older 20hp Mercury (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141242)

carroth 08-22-2016 12:52 PM

Prop for older 20hp Mercury

So I wasn't paying attention to the depth and ran my prop into some muddy/gravel bottom yesterday. Luckily didn't break it but put a few dings in it and definitely affected the top end speed. It was the original 3 blade aluminum prop so I guess it's time for a new one anyway. Looking for suggestions for a new one. I run a 14 foot aluminum lund and the motor is an early '80's 20hp mercury 2-stroke. I usually fish between 4000-8000' in elevation. I'm more interested in top end speed than quick starts. Does anyone have a suggestion for an all around prop for this? I looked for some earlier posts and found a couple but really just trying to see if anyone has suggestions without getting too technical. Thanks for any input you can give.

slayerfish 08-22-2016 01:43 PM

The Internet is your friend-

kirbydog 08-22-2016 01:55 PM

If your current prop gave you good service just go with the same diameter and pitch
A slightly higher pitch may give you a little better top end but on a 20 hp not much. If you could get a tack I believe you want 5200-5400 rpm at full throttle.

And don't give up on your current prop-you can hammer out those dents and have at least a good spare-I've done
that many times on my boat.

Bionic Man 08-23-2016 05:51 PM

Jim's Prop Shop in Wheat Ridge can likely rebuild the prop you have.

If you are going to play around with different pitches without knowing your current RPMs, you should consider buying local in case you need to return it. I know a very small change in pitch has a huge effect on hole shot for my 60 HP on my Lund. Using my Powell prop (only 2" pitch larger) than my regular prop can keep me from planing out with 2 people and a full live well.

carroth 08-26-2016 12:21 PM

I took one of those worksharp knife sharpeners to the original aluminum prop and cleaned it up pretty good. Figured out it is a 9 pitch. Anyone else have a similar boat to mine and have recommendations? I've been looking on the internet and I think I'm more confused than ever. Seems like a 9 pitch is the equivalent of more torque. Thinking of getting an 11 pitch for the new one to try getting a little more top end speed. Any thoughts? Thanks for the Wheatridge tip but I live in New Castle and no plans to go to Denver anytime soon. It doesn't look like there are too many options for this old motor anyway so i might just get an 11 from Cabelas and return it if I don't like it.

kirbydog 08-26-2016 03:45 PM

An 11 will give you better top end assuming you can still get on plane with one. Worth a try-you may find that the 11 works better at lower elevation lakes and a 9 pitch at higher lakes.

For years I have had three pitches on my CO metal boat-an 11, 13 and 15.