Buying a new boat any sugestions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying a new boat any sugestions

I am getting married at the end of may . Plan to move to Colorado springs area the following spring .

Here I have a 16 ft wide boat. Its completly gutted due to some lakes are electric only. I have a 74 lb auto guide in the front and a 9.9 in the back . It use to be our max power on the lake I fish and its settup with 2 rod holders that go out the side and 2 that go up in the middle.

Its a semi v since its more stable for the smaller lakes and is fish the river.

My question is what should I look for in Colorado. I am thinking a 18 ft deep v where the seats are down in the bottom of the boat. I have to have the auto guide on the front and a rear trolling motor to back troll when dont need to use the gas motor. Thinking of a 50 hp to save on gas but still go fairly good.

Whats ideas on the semi v vs deep v. I here the semi pound the waves and isnt as good. Any suggestions. Im looking for a used one here over now if find a good deal.

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited by jackd1964; 10-14-2016 at 10:02 AM.
jackd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would look for something that is at least 16' long, full windshield, minimum of 60 HP (4 stroke or e-tec). If I you are getting 18' or bigger, I'd want at least 90 HP.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post
I would look for something that is at least 16' long, full windshield, minimum of 60 HP (4 stroke or e-tec). If I you are getting 18' or bigger, I'd want at least 90 HP.
^^

^^

This
pistoldog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, you probably won't even be able to get your boat on a plane with an 18 ft and 50HP set up. 90 HP and up would recommended. It's nice to be able to get out of the water, or to at least get to some sheltered areas fast when the weather turns foul. I don't know how you plan to get to Denver, but you might want to plan a stop to get a boat on your way here. There aren't many good fishing boats for sale here. Maybe make a stop around MN?
Old 10-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

We have a Van and I have a newer car that we will be driving there with and moving vehicle for the rest . The 16 ft rock and rolls in the fall when the wind pick up so I know I want bigger then that. Thinking 17 or 18 ft is what can afford .
jackd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like you won't be here for a year and a half. You have tons of time to find the right boat. Just start lookin'.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

The problem with power boating in Colorado is that an engine loses approx. 3% of its output per 1000' above sea level. Denver is at 5280' so you would immediately lose 15% (a 50hp motor is now 42.5hp). Most of the better fishing lakes in the mountains are at an altitude of 8000' or higher so your 50hp is now reduced by 24% to about 38hp. Because of our topography either in the mountains or adjacent to them in the areas near Denver, we have very changeable conditions and the wind can go from calm to 50 mph with intense lightning/hail in the blink of an eye. That prescribes a need for having enough power to flee to safety. Even if you don't require the extra power in your general boating/fishing activities, it's still comforting to know that it is in reserve to minimize exposing yourself to these dangerous situations when they arise- and they will. Often, because of the mountains, you cannot see the storms approaching.

Here's a resource for checking current boat prices and availability: http://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/searchresults Most of the boats listed are in the upper midwest and better deals are available there than in Colorado. Just many more boats there to choose from.

Think deep-v for the same reasons as the need for greater horsepower. They can withstand much greater inclement conditions than a modified v or, especially, a bass boat. I've owned all 3 types of boats and a deep-v will be much more stable and dryer in high winds and big waves. Because of their higher profile, they will catch more wind but that is preferable to having waves roll over your bow or gunnels. The extra power of a higher hp motor enables greater control in boat handling during a blow.

Enjoy the search.

Last edited by rattman; 10-14-2016 at 02:01 PM.
rattman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattman View Post
The problem with power boating in Colorado is that an engine loses approx. 3% of its output per 1000' above sea level. Denver is at 5280' so you would immediately lose 15% (a 50hp motor is now 42.5hp). Most of the better fishing lakes in the mountains are at an altitude of 8000' or higher so your 50hp is now reduced by 24% to about 38hp. Because of our topography either in the mountains or adjacent to them in the areas near Denver, we have very changeable conditions and the wind can go from calm to 50 mph with intense lightning/hail in the blink of an eye. That prescribes a need for having enough power to flee to safety. Even if you don't require the extra power in your general boating/fishing activities, it's still comforting to know that it is in reserve for minimize exposing yourself to these dangerous situations when they arise- and they will. Often, because of the mountains, you cannot see the storms approaching.

Here's a resource for checking current boat prices and availability: http://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/searchresults Most of the boats listed are in the upper midwest and better deals are available there than in Colorado. Just many more boats there to choose from.

Think deep-v for the same reasons as the need for greater horsepower. They can withstand much greater inclement conditions than a modified v or, especially, a bass boat. I've owned all 3 types of boats and a deep-v will be much more stable and dryer in high winds and big waves. Because of their higher profile, they will catch more wind but that is preferable to having waves roll over your bow or gunnels. The extra power of a higher hp motor enables greater control in boat handling during a blow.

Enjoy the search.
You just made the rest of us sound like a bunch of lowbrows...
Old 10-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Don't think you have any worries there, Linh. We all have our moments.
rattman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofisher View Post
You just made the rest of us sound like a bunch of lowbrows...

As if that's any great accomplishment.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in