Winter fishing question - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Winter fishing question

Ice fishing holds little attraction for me but perch hold huge attraction...that leaves me conflicted. Several times in winter the wind/sun combo keeps part of a lake ice free. I fond intend to stand on anything but what I know to be ground, no desire to become a hypothermic Popsicle. In the cold of winter can I have any success shore fishing when the water has opened up? Will the fish just be under the frozen part?
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Fish will be everywhere. Getting them to bite will be a different story

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

You'll find open water at times during the winter but fishing from shore makes it tough. More than any other season, a boat really helps.

I understand what you mean about ice fishing-holds no interest for me either. Don't know where you are but Pueblo stays ice free on the lower end except for a real cold spell.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.

Last edited by kirbydog; 10-30-2016 at 02:35 PM.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2016, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quit being a sissy, get an 8" manual auger, a spud bar and some safety spikes in case you fall in. Ice fishing is awesome. You can hit parts of the lake you could never cast to and the first time you are on the ice and you feel/hear a big shift it's a freakin rush.

Had my mom on Evergreen last year and it was a really warm day. Ice was ~10" and a loud 1/4" crack opened up right in front of her. She lost it! It was great.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2016, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Quit being a sissy, get an 8" manual auger, a spud bar and some safety spikes in case you fall in. Ice fishing is awesome. You can hit parts of the lake you could never cast to and the first time you are on the ice and you feel/hear a big shift it's a freakin rush.

Had my mom on Evergreen last year and it was a really warm day. Ice was ~10" and a loud 1/4" crack opened up right in front of her. She lost it! It was great.
If that's what you call it. Lmao. I jumped on the ice a spread my arms and legs. I thought I was going in for sure.

My brother laughed his ass off. He let on like he knew what he was doing. 6 hours later I respectfully told him he didn't know shit.
DoctorDooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nothing gets the heart pumping and the blood flowing like an early season icequake on 11 Mile while fishing on 2" of ice!
blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

First time ever ice fishing we were on Evergreen during early ice. It was 4-6" but went from 4" to less than 2" in less than 15 feet.

We used the spud bar all around where we were fishing to be safe.

Every crack Bandrews and I would shoot each other a quick glance.

Then all of a sudden a huge "WHOOOOOOOSSSHHHHHH!!!" a sudden gust of wind went right between us.

The group near us started laughing and could tell we were newbies. Turns out it was dateacher and his friends!
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in