Hi - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi

Hi everyone!

new to the forum, but been in colorado my whole life..i lurk around here sometimes hoping you guys will spill some spots but seems like you all have some fun with the forum, thats good... I spent plenty of time fishing the metro and mountain areas in my youth, focused on golf in my 20s, and lost a decade of fishing.. haha

got a 3 year old kiddo nowadays, we like to get outside and have been having some fun shore fishing around the metro reservoirs and lakes, no boat (yet? ever??)..

I am mostly interested in catching walleye or any of the eye-brids.. up north thats about all my family fishes for and I have developed quite a taste for the fight and the deepfried reward!!

I have found some smaller ones on the west side of town, not even keepers, but no hogs like i catch when im in ND.. with the weather turning, ill probably have less opportunity to figure this out until spring, im not crazy enough to get out on the ice quite yet.....

anyways, any spots where the eyes can be found would be helpful.. i will find them eventually, fishing atlas be damned!
m.i.j. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the madness.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.i.j. View Post
I am mostly interested in catching walleye or any of the eye-brids.. up north thats about all my family fishes for and I have developed quite a taste for the fight and the deepfried reward!!

I have found some smaller ones on the west side of town, not even keepers, but no hogs like i catch when im in ND..
Might need to get your Vampire on.
Or go visit the family with a big cooler.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

You're in for a world of hurt comparing HERE to NoDak! I watch the eye turneys from ND and the winning weight is like 95lbs. Thats a 9.5lb average. Winning weights in colorado are like 2 lbs average.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

let me be the first to say it....how dare you eat a fish!!!

and also, hello.

Metro area eyes seem more scarce. esp with a toddler in tow. I've had some toddler friendly times at Barker (no eyes, see my other rants on barker) and there are some parts of Standley that do ok for a little spud toddling around. The cove east of the marina at chatfield has stuff to catch and sandy beaches for the little spuds. mostly I've caught carp there which my lil one thinks are neat to see, pat on the head and let go. with the toddler for me it's all about where I can safely keep one to one half eye on the kid and actually cast more than 6 times in 4 hours without loss or injury. I don't want the days to pass any faster but a slightly older toddler who can join the fishing instead of impeding it will be fun.
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks guys! coolers are in regular supply, luckily the fam up there takes it serious... i usually get up to ND at least once a year to get on the river and slay.. haha

I was searching the forum yesterday and found some great photos of eyes and noticed there were lots of night pics of you happy hunters..looks like a couple recon night trips might be in order, you cant argue with success!

fishing is amazing in ND, its extremely nice to have family guides too though..ill try and throttle my expectations a bit in the colorado waters, just happy to get out there and find something other than that nasty trout!
Old 11-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.i.j. View Post
and find something other than that nasty trout!
go to granby, catch a brown trout, bleed it. get it on ice, have someone who knows what they are doing cook it for you. revisit your opinion.
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for the recommendations at chatfield, im much more familiar with the south part of the res through the river area from my youth when we would get on the trout, hopefully we can get out there more and check out the marina area soon.. i have fished barker a couple times, never pulled anything other than gross trout there though.. honestly, and strangely, i have never fished Standley Lake...

and yes to all of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 View Post
with the toddler for me it's all about where I can safely keep one to one half eye on the kid and actually cast more than 6 times in 4 hours without loss or injury. I don't want the days to pass any faster but a slightly older toddler who can join the fishing instead of impeding it will be fun.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 View Post
go to granby, catch a brown trout, bleed it. get it on ice, have someone who knows what they are doing cook it for you. revisit your opinion.
haha, im just pokin fun.. i have nothing against eating good trout, from good waters especially.. im just trying to stay focused on the eyes for now, fork danced with many a trout, right now im more interested getting on something different! speaking of which, i bought some huge hooks to try and catch a kitty this year but i havent found the right place for that either. i could probably string up one of them nasty trout carcasses to land one though, now that i think of it!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Look at the master angler records for the fish you're looking for. They show all the master angler catches of people who bothered to apply for the title. If you look at the 2015 master angler records for example, looking at channel cats, you would likely see a bunch of big channels coming out of chatfield from September to October. Most of those are from one dude, though. He knows his stuff for sure. You can use this technique to find spots and see when the bigguns are biting for whatever species you're interested in.
whompuscat658 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in