????wheres the catfish????? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ????wheres the catfish?????

* i have always wanted to catfish..... no one in my familys ever has...... so we decided to try it, we went to barr lake and fished off the shore by the dam....i sat for five hours twittling my thumbs, we were using shad sides and stink bait, not one single bite, i was using a cirle hook with a slip sinker and about 12" of leader....... then a couple of my friends offered to take me to the windsor ponds and do some cattin' well i could only stay a couple of hours but we still had no luck..... i caught a couple of nice bass there today and bumped into a guy who said he usually catches lots of cats and none have been smaller than 5lbs, im definately not doing something right.... any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
FishersofMen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Default Re: ????wheres the catfish?????

Barr Lake is a bit high at the moment and the water is probably a bit chilly for cats still. Once things warm up a bit go back and give it another shot.

Also, if you do a search on the forum and check Rottal's posts, he's done a lot of catfishing at Barr and his posts have a lot of good information.

Good luck!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

i was at barr lake this past september...... and i have red i a couple of magazines that right after ice out is a great time because they feed on the winter kill but what do i know i have yet to catch one! hahahaha anyways thanks for the info
FishersofMen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Caught a little 7 LBER at chatfield in thew spillway tonite.* First cat of the year!* Didnt like my other baits but he decided he wanted to eat a piece of cheese!* Also sterns lake is a good for cats.* Good population of channel cats from 5-15 lbs. Lots of fun. It also has big bull heads in it.* My best is 4.8lbs, State record is 5.1 lbs.* My money is on sterns to break that state record. By the way you better be sure you want to be a catfisherman cuz once you go cat, you never go back lol.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Were is sterns lake? sorry good job on the cat btw.
Big_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

I caught my first cat when i was 6 and have never turned back. As for Barr, Give it another two weeks and the cats will be going good. Unless, of course, we have some really windy days, then it will go sooner.
bigfish76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

how big of population in bar?whats your biggest? only fished it once during the salvege! maybe we should go fishing there some time and inreturn i will take u to the spot were thoose pics were taken!!(of the mad-cat-er) im not looking for numbers just the chance of a life time!cacth and release only unless?record.
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have caught massive amount of cats weighing 5 to 10 ;bs out of Barr. My biggest was 23 lbs last year in July on sucker meat soaked in beef blood. Barr has potential. You just have to know what you are doing.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey bigfish, whats the status on night fishin at Barr?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

The ranger will let you fish it if you stay fishing actively. No sleeping, dozing, or the likes. You must stay active.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in