Vexilar Vs. Camera - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vexilar Vs. Camera

So because of recent shoulder surgery and extreme boredom I picked up some cheap ice gear a couple weeks ago and to my surprise I really enjoy it. I'm already thinking about picking up some electronics and would love some feedback. I know most people prefer flashers over cameras but I would like to have a piece of equipment I could use for more than just ice fishing and have always kind of wanted a camera anyway. Has there been any recent tech breakthroughs that have improved the usefulness of underwater cameras? I kind of like the idea of being able to actually see the fish look and react to offerings in real time even though the flashers are time tested and more popular. I know the set up time and visibility limitations of a camera are the main complaints. Also, if I decided to go with a flasher would it be better to buy a dedicated flasher or use my hummingbird finder from my boat that has ice/flasher mode? I've heard there can be substantial lag from finders and that seems like it would somewhat defeat the purpose. It is a newer finder (less than 3 years old) with color display. I think I could probably buy a used flasher for about the same price as a new transducer and mount but since it is already a piece of equipment I already own, I'd like to use it if everything else was (pretty) equal. Sorry if this has already been discussed but I searched and couldn't really find anything new and relevant. Thanks for your advice.
carroth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a Lowrance with split flasher and love it. Haven't seen any lag but I haven't fished deeper than 25 fow.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have the FL18 and i love it. i always thought a camera would be neat but i feel like when you hooking a fish with that camera wire down there is a recipe for disaster. thats just me though
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

It was nice to meet you and those wild dogs last weekend!! I am a camera guy, last weekend was a perfect example. I could see the difference between a northern and a muskie. I could also see when "bites" were actually crawdads messing with the bait. I saw a perch that had been bitten by something big. Just a lot of little things that the other electronics can't give you
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

The standard addage is "If you want to buy a tool that will actually help you put more fish on the ice buy a flasher, if you just want something fun get a camera." I have both and rarely use my camera anymore. It pretty much only gets used when my wife comes or I'm introducing some one to ice fishing. Otherwise it has very little utility compared to a flasher.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like to have fun when fishing and the camera does the trick
Old 02-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses everyone. FFG- good to meet and talk to you too. I think I'm just going to get the stuff to convert my finder for now and hopefully next year pick up a camera unless I can find one for sale somewhere cheap now. Makes me wonder how long the ice is going to hold up with the warm weather this week. I hit the river on Monday afternoon and it was really good. Probably do that again this weekend. Keep in touch if it looks like you might head up this way again and I'll meet you out there.
carroth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

I thought I saw Cabela's had 20% off ice gear FYI.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroth View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. FFG- good to meet and talk to you too. I think I'm just going to get the stuff to convert my finder for now and hopefully next year pick up a camera unless I can find one for sale somewhere cheap now. Makes me wonder how long the ice is going to hold up with the warm weather this week. I hit the river on Monday afternoon and it was really good. Probably do that again this weekend. Keep in touch if it looks like you might head up this way again and I'll meet you out there.
As of right now I plan on being back up there Saturday. I have been worried about the ice with these temps too. Let me talk to the GF about my second camera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in