Purdy Mesa and Juniata Reservoir Fishing Reports - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Purdy Mesa and Juniata Reservoir Fishing Reports

I'll be in Grand Junction for 4 days with nothing to do and I'm not a huge football fan so I rather be fishing or hunting. I am from MN and would like to know if the fishing in western CO this time of the year is any good. I am avid bass fisherman and have started fly fishing as well.
Is it worth bringing my fly gear? I am I better off bass fishing? Are the lakes and rivers even open or iced over?

Please help. I am desperate for any type of outdoor activity and if I can't fish, I might just bring my rifle and sling some lead [heard GJ's got a public range that goes out to 1000 yds].

T.I.A!!
slee6946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slee6946 View Post
I'll be in Grand Junction for 4 days with nothing to do and I'm not a huge football fan so I rather be fishing or hunting. I am from MN and would like to know if the fishing in western CO this time of the year is any good. I am avid bass fisherman and have started fly fishing as well.
Is it worth bringing my fly gear? I am I better off bass fishing? Are the lakes and rivers even open or iced over?

Please help. I am desperate for any type of outdoor activity and if I can't fish, I might just bring my rifle and sling some lead [heard GJ's got a public range that goes out to 1000 yds].

T.I.A!!
Man. I don't know if you can say the fishing is good this time of year. It's ice fishing. Kind of like a consolation prize. I have no clue about lakes and such out that way. I'm sure you can do it though. Gonna have to buy all that shit. Might be better off at that range you mentioned
DoctorDooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Fishing in February isn't "good" anywhere.

EDIT: Read your post as "Gunnison" for some reason. Not much for tailwater fishing in Junction, but you have the Colorado river. Bring your fly gear. Good luck on your outdoor adventures.

Last edited by mrwigglestheworm; 02-02-2017 at 08:15 AM.
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pretty much going to suck
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure where you came up with those locations? They are obscure even to a lot of locals. They have a thin lid last I heard but it is going to be in the 50's this weekend. I live about 30 minutes from them and I wouldn't waste the time. Best fishing in junction right now is corn lake, no bass in there. The rivers in junction are a waste of time unless you are seeking an endangered species.
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Feb is the butthole of the year in colorado.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quit hating on ice fishing Doooom!!!
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Fishing in February isn't "good" anywhere.
Hmmmmmm
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Purdy Mesa has no fish as it is just being filled after dam repair. I don't know about Juniata, but my guess if that it still has some ice. All the local ponds are ice free so you might look at Connected Lakes for bass and a few crappie. Probably still in deep water on the northern lake. West lake would have the warmest water of the three. I would guess the Jerry Creek Reservoirs have open water because of there south facing exposure. The more westerly one would have the warmest water. They are about 30 minutes from town toward Mesa CO.
Pathway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Note, Jerry creek is catch and release and artificial lures only. Make sure you check the regs, every body of water here has different regulations
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in