Channel catfish size comparison - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Channel catfish size comparison

Here is my beef. Out east it is common to hear of channels in the 30-50lb range, but in colorado if you reach the coveted 30lb mark you are really into a monster.* Why is this? Is it something to do with water temp/Overall size of the body of water? The reason I ask is because the #2 Blue catfish in the world caught a couple years back in lake texoma is alive (the last that I heard) in an aquarium and the fish is still growing and gaining weight, and an aquarium is no huge body of water.* If a world record class catfish can be taken from a huge lake and continue to grow in an aquarium, why isnt it possible that colorado lakes cant produce a world record class Channel catfish? I know colorado lakes are nowhere close to the size of the lakes and rivers out east but still if the fish can eat all the food they want and live out thier full life span, why cant colorado cats be contenders*

Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Channel catfish size comparison

I think it has alot to do with the size of the water system, there is a reason a fish that size was caught out of texoma.... its a freakin huge body of water. It also has to do with forage and habitat... water temps probably have something to do with it as well, catfish are pretty adaptable. Colorado does have some lakes that can produce large cats but we dont have the river systems like alot of the states... if you notice the states that produce large cats they usually come from big lakes with large rivers flowing into them.

The reason its still gaining weight is its an artificial enviroment, all it can do is sit and eat... no spawning runs no predators and always food.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good point ePiC

Old 04-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

MC

And how many people here go out in a boat on one of the larger impoundments like Pueblo or Creek with the tackle that is heavy enough and huge hook with a whole chicken filled with beef liver attached...I dont think you have the numbers pursuing it like other states...there has to be some channels in those reservoirs a lot bigger than 30 pounds dont you think?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Absolutley my man, i am one of those few and proud that fish rediculous size baits and rods and reels that would pull a pickup out of a ditch.* If those plus size cats ever end up on the end of my line i certainley have the means to land them! People say i'm over prepared but i just dont want to miss the fish of a lifetime so i am ready at all times and all costs!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to fishingkats

it comes down to forage down here in s.e. colorado

every year me and a few of the old guys that i know that just chase cats

pull out some nice monsters in the 40-45" range but the cats are skinny

Old 04-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think it also has something to do with altitude. *The same goes for some other animals. *I am looking into raising gamebirds and also looking at growing some fryer chickens, the best fryers won't grow well at over 4500 feet so there goes that venture. *I'm also with the idea that there are not enough people throwing whole 8" gills out on surf rods to catch those big cats. *I am changing my setup this year and will only use livers for bringing the eating size fish home.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah occasionally my granparents put in a fish order and ask for some eater cats.* Liver picks up those eaters all day long.* Im the kind of guy that will hook a 15" bullhead on liver and leave it hooked up in hopes of a huge channel looking for a McBullhead sandwich for supper! Of course when i am done with the bullhead i unhook it and let it go
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

'cause Slayer caught them all...
No seriously, there's not enough biomass in most of the smalller lakes here to fatten up the catfish in their lifetime, and their life expectancy is shorter in CO than in other states due to the severe and ever changing conditions. Also, almost none of CO's public lakes are managed for catfish for various reasons.
VolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good point made about the water out there not really being managed for cat fish. Here in Ne. I get some large cats out of some pretty small waters. But they are waters managed for cats, bass, with gills and some type of minnows as forage.

Keep it safe JDL
unclegillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in