Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   casting into the wind (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147698)

Thenewguy76 03-06-2017 10:32 AM

casting into the wind

so last night a little after dark at massey draw the wind kicked up, put a good bit of waves crashing into shore, moon was shining, seemed like the perfect evening to look for walleye...of course I got skunked again because I clearly don't know a damn thing about walleye fishing. but try as i might I couldn't even get my heavy jerk baits (5/8oz I think is the heaviest) to fly more than 20 feet. tried to keep em low, tried to be smooth. what's the trick to casting into the wind?

Oyey 03-06-2017 10:41 AM

8lb-12 nano, fast action rod, practice and understanding that eyes at night should be within 15' of shore, so casting far can help, but casting precise and staying connected to your bait is more important.

Thenewguy76 03-06-2017 10:46 AM

the precise was a freaking disaster. I spent so much time getting untangled and figuring out where the heck that last one went that I just about gave up.

does the nano really make a difference over my usual 6lb mono? how so?

mattyt 03-06-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 (Post 1935234)
the precise was a freaking disaster. I spent so much time getting untangled and figuring out where the heck that last one went that I just about gave up.

yes it does make a huge difference not only with less friction coming off the spool but less stretch and more sensitivity. I switched a couple years ago and I wont go back to mono.

you dont realize what you are missing until yo make the switch!

Dakota 03-06-2017 11:03 AM

I second the huge difference. If you use nano for fishing shallow walleyes I'd definitely tie and a 10-14# flouro leader. Nano is not very abrasion resistant.

Once you start using braided/super lines you'll realize that mono is just inferior. It has it's applicaitons, but the super lines are just more versatile.

Thenewguy76 03-06-2017 11:12 AM

am I going to want it on there for all of my other general fishing? I don't love the idea of changing line for every application.

mrwigglestheworm 03-06-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 (Post 1935234)

Hell yes it does.

DoctorDooom 03-06-2017 11:21 AM

Don't feel bad. Felt like 30 mph winds where I went too. The guy parked next to me caught 11. All before the wind and myself showed up of course. He said the bite disappeared once the wind started going. Hopefully it won't be so bad tonight.

DoctorDooom 03-06-2017 11:25 AM

8lb nano has the same diameter as 4lb mono

mrwigglestheworm 03-06-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 (Post 1935258)
am I going to want it on there for all of my other general fishing? I don't love the idea of changing line for every application.

Here's the thing, everything has it's place. If you use Nanofil on spinning rods, it's just another edge/advantage you give yourself. Would you spool it onto a baitcaster? Not likely. But for general spinning applications, it's great stuff.

I also second what Dakota said. You will most certainly want to use a fluorocarbon leader with that stuff if you're walleye fishing. For a couple of reasons, but definitely because Nano isn't abrasion resistant at all.