Fishing for Meat - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing for Meat

I've been fly fishing in Colorado for about 3 years but almost always on catch and release bodies of water and always for trout. I'd like to start keeping some of my catch, where legal, but have some pretty dumb questions. I've also recently picked up a personal pontoon boat outfitted with an electric motor with the help of this forum so thanks for that.

Here are my questions, I'm sure opinions will vary so feel free to give me yours.

- What catchable fish in Colorado are considered good eating?

- What size fish is usually considered good for keeping and eating. Reading through the forum it seems really small or really large fish are poor form to keep. Is there some sweet spot size wise for good eating and being considerate of the ecosystem?

- What are some of the best bodies of water in the state for someone interested in fishing for meat? I am in Littleton Colorado.

- Anything else a newbie should be mindful of when it comes to keeping your catch.

Thanks!
CubsFan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

12" bass are delicious....
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to what fish are "good eating." I for one do not like trout, at all. However, I do enjoy a lot of warm water species, bass, bluegill, crappie, perch, catfish, and walleye are some examples.

Any of the state parks on the front range have great opportunities to put some fish on the table. Just make sure you check the regulations for each lake before keeping fish.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan04 View Post

- What catchable fish in Colorado are considered good eating?
trout. I don't like freshly stocked trout, they taste like fish food. the 10-14" ones are great pan fried whole. 18-24" are great for fillets. smoked is my other favorite way for trout. a smoked trout sandwich beats the crap out of a tunafish. smoked trout on a salad with cranberries walnuts and dark greens is delicious.

pike are delicious, fish tacos or sandwich, usually fried. anything under 18" is a total pain to get the meat off of.

kokanee are a treat. don't catch and release them anyway, they're just going to die. smoke em grill em love em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan04 View Post
- Anything else a newbie should be mindful of when it comes to keeping your catch.
bleed your catch and kill it quickly. clean it quickly, get it on ice quickly. being humane also makes the meat better. bleeding your fish dramatically reduces the "fishyness" that some complain about.

Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Meat fishing? Seems like there might be someone around here who knows a thing or two about that...

Walleye and perch are my targets for meat, but you'll have to get out and explore for yourself, to find the best places to target them. Do a little research on the Colorado fishing atlas.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

also, if you don't want to break the neck with brute force, cut where the gills come together, deeply enough to get the artery, then snap the head back to dispatch the fish. lots less force required, bleeds it and kills it quickly. don't let it flop around on the ground like this dude did, it gets dirty. back in the water quickly or dead quickly.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

if you're going to fish for perch, 8" minimum...less is a waste and a pain. 9/10 would be better.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Meat Fishing? You Savage, you!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
12" bass are delicious....
Green Carp Tacos.....Yummmmmmmmy
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies all. Keep in mind that my ignorance doesn't enable me to get sarcasm. I'm looking at you Ninja and mrwigglestheworm.
CubsFan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in