Question about spot lock..... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about spot lock.....

Got a couple of questions.

Does it work as advertised? Hold you in place even in windy conditions?

Do you think the TM going on and off alot is alarming to the fish? I've always heard that fish don't react to a TM that is on as much as one that is constantly on and off.

Tired of fighting the wind.

Have always had MK trolling motors because they seem quieter than MG.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
P I K E

Ed, the new Terrova IMHO is great. It does hold position a lot better than the older version and is faster to set. If you get the blue tooth model it is a bit easier to use. The problem I find listening to other people that gripe about them not holding position is their unit is to small for their boat, get the biggest model you can for your boat. I have the 80 thrust on my 17.5 Tracker and it does great. With the new set up MK has it stows and lifts easier for us old geezers, the spot lock jog I love and is a lot quieter than my past models. Love it bud!!!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Minn...th-i-Pilot-US2
Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
P I K E

also the new I-Pilot tracks better than the older models!
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll add a bit. I've had spotlock for a long time now, starting with the original Terrova and then moving on to the gen 2. The one Tony has is gen 3. Gen 3 is amazing. It keeps you soooo tight to one spot. The lift assist is great and the "jog" feature is sick.. I am jealous of those features and the "button" on the foot pedal for spot lock. Why they didn't do that to begin with is beyond me (inside, I don't want to believe it was so obvious but gave them something to add to future models).

Yes it works as advirtised. Yes the newer, the better. That said, whatever you can afford GET IT. Spot lock is the single best feature on my boat and is used more than anything on the boat. CO is windy and there's been countless times I've been on the water when no one else can. I've planted on a point with the wind blowing 25mph into the point. Sat on the back of the boat casting to the point, slaying smallies without being uncomfortable.

Here's a few things to consider, aside from the obvious ... you are trolling with the gas motor and hook a monster... best thing you can do is go to deep water and spot lock. It's so great to forget about the boat when you are handling and dealing with a big fish. Lines tangled? spot lock and fix it. Wanna cool off and go for a swim? Spot lock. NEed to re-rig? Yup...

I'm not trying to over hype the concept, I just know this, and I speak for a lot of my friends. I would rather fish out of a 25 year old boat with a 60hp motor and a Terrova (or comparable unit) than I would a brand new boat with a 200 hp motor with a standard trolling motor.

I fish through horrid conditions, and have landed some incredible fish in those conditions. I can't think of one other piece of equipment that keeps me fishing longer, helps me catch more fish than if I was without.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

can't add anything. buy it you will love it. your boat will do good with a 55 lb and a 54 inch shaft, if you go bigger you need 24 volts
Old 03-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ed - yup, buy it and love it. I have an 80 pound MK on my 17' Lund and it does great. I'd sooner fish without sonar than without Spot Lock. Vertical jigging for lakers in 60-80FOW? Not a problem with Spot Lock.

I do need to upgrade to the next generation though.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yep Ed the best thing since female anatomy...will try and give you a call too much to type!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

A question-what is jog? Does that mean you can set a course with the TM?

I don't have a smart phone, don't even know what blue tooth is-can I operate the spot lock manually-press a button on the pedal and its engaged? Is it user friendly and not hard to learn to operate?

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.

Last edited by kirbydog; 03-02-2018 at 07:15 AM.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

I use the remote around my neck...Ed you can probably google the manual or look up Terrova spot lock on youtube...
Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

You don't need a smartphone or bluetooth. The features they provide are not important. Jog is a feature where you hit a button, and the spotlock turns off, motor takes you like 20 feet from the last spot and re-spot locks. It's very nice when you learn how to use it. All can be done from the remote.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in