Coming for a visit should I bring my gear - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coming for a visit should I bring my gear

Hey guys from out of state, coming to visit the in laws and was wondering if I should bring my fly fishing gear. Where near Denver would you guys recommend this time of year? And whatís the hatch?
Connorcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you are a fly fisher, coming to Colorado and don't bring your gear, you should have your head examined. With that in mind, this isn't the best time to fly fish in Colorado. All of the still water across the state will be frozen. Some moving water will be difficult to fish because of ice depending on location.

Your best bet for a location close to Denver would be the South Platte River at Deckers or if you want to walk a bit, the South Platte in Cheesman Canyon is an excellent choice. It is upstream from Deckers a few miles.

You will probably find midge hatches on the Platte. It might be a bit early for others to hatch but you can drift a small nymph through pocket water.

If you go to Deckers on a weekend, be sure to take your own rock to stand on. There is about one mile of river water above the town of Deckers and the lower boundary for the Wigwam Fly Fishing Club. This is where you will find a lot of anglers.

I learned to fly fish in this section of the river forty years ago but after the movie, "A Yuppie Runs Through It" was released, I concentrated on the river below the town.

There is another section of the South Platte closer than Deckers and that is Waterton Canyon. It is the last stretch of good trout water before the river heads out on the plains. The canyon is only accessible by bicycle, foot or horse. It is six miles long. The upper three miles have special regulations; whereas, the lower three are standard regs. You will see more people fishing the lower section. The road following the river is very good and not steep. If you have a bicycle, you can reach the six mile mark in about thirty minutes. The problem with the canyon in general, especially the upper section is ice. Canyon walls are steep and don't allow a lot of sun this time of year.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 03-11-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thatís what I was thinking but just didnít know how good it would be out there this time of year. Thanks for all the tips. Iím actually looking at moving out there at some point this coming year. Thanks for your knowledge and tips. Very much appreciated.
Connorcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

contrary to what you've been told all the still waters around town are now open so you can fish any pond in the denver area you'd like. chessman canyon is a catch and release area that offers tropy size fish if your willing to fish micro flies ,twenty twos and smaller. the blue river below the dam will offer good fishing this time of year using mostly mysis shrimp patterns. and here in town the south platte just above chat field but below Watertown canyon offers some excellent fishing that a lot of people dont realize.
littlemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Blue.

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

the ark below pueblo dam is looking good now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in