Fishing the Granby Res on the Mesa - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing the Granby Res on the Mesa

I have been told you can catch big cutthroat trout in the Granby Res up on the Mesa, any one know a good way to catch Cutthrout up on the Mesa?
Randyfries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
P I K E

Randy from the Wyo area, welcome to our forum here! First off Lake Granby isn't up on the Mesa and if there are Cutties in there would be very hard to target. It is known for Lakers, Kokes, Big slimers and Browns. If you want info on Cutties on the actual Mesa maybe someone will toss out some helpful tips or else you can use the search function to look for more, a lot of good info in the archives.

Good luck and tight lines!!!
Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are a few Grandby Reservoir's up on the Mesa around the Battlement lakes, with a couple bigger than the rest (some get dried up). Beautiful area on the mesa. This particular area can become popular though as it is easily accessible by vehicle and nice for camping with ATV's.

I recommend Big Creek and Atkinson Reservoirs. Don't overlook the streams either.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
P I K E

Doh!!! Sorry J, I misread it and thought lake and not Res right away. I too would consider Big Creek 1st, road should be open by now or in the area also Teal. Also the Buttes.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah Tony, if you are going to have 1 Grandby why not have a few more. I was fortunate enough to spend time on the Mesa while living in Junction for a few years, more time on dirt bikes and hunting than fishing though. Tons of locations to choose from.

A lot of people liked Bonita and the Cottonwoods too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Fished the Grandbys' on the Mesa many moons ago. BRUTAL skeeters there.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Every thing is open on the Grand Mesa due to a lack of snow. I don't know about the fishing at the Grandbys but I understand it takes about 3 hours to get there because the ATVs have beaten it to death. If u do go there the 4-5 10-11 complex of lakes would probably be the best. Other spots to look at that are more accessible are Cottonwood 5, Military Park and Cedar Mesa.
Pathway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in