Largemouth Tackle Recommendations - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Largemouth Tackle Recommendations

Howdy!

I'm an avid fisherman so I know you guys wont give up any major secrets, and Im not asking for any. I am originally from Texas and Bass fished all my life. I've been fishing here for the last 3 months with mixed results, just carpet bombing all the local lakes and ponds which according to CPW are low fishing pressure and I go by scenery in the water (vegetation, trees, logs the whole nine yards), but this is what Im used to in Texas. I've used spinners, spoons, plastic swim baits, powerbaits, and some jig heads with custom skirts.

Im just wondering if I need to basically learn to Bass fish all over again, In my mind a Bass is a Bass no matter where you are, so all the tricks and hidden knowledge you posses should be the same? No?

Im just looking for a few tips on types of tackle (rig style also) most commonly used here, the only info I can find is sparse. I have locations where I know there are Bass, the water is just to perfect to not, now to start rippin some lips on these boogers.

Thanks!

Robbie
Texarodan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome aboard!
Lots of crawdads and shad in this part of the country. Try some brown tubes or shad pattern swimbaits. Check regs in relation to scented/unscented for any given lake... good luck!
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

check out denverbassmasters.com

Not sure if you have ever been a member of a Bass club before but I would highly recommend it. Bass fishing here is definitely different than what you are used to in just about every way imaginable.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hello Texarodan I live in Texas but 6 years ago I was in the Denver Colorado area for 15 years . I fished only plastic's worms, and lizards with a few crawfish Black for the worms 6" Scoundrel Cream Lure Black w/ Blue pincers for the crawfish . and most any color for the lizards . The biggest bass I caught was from the Ward Road Pond Ward road and I -70 On the north side of I-70 . Always caught bass at the pond behind camper world . I do not know if the Rocky Mountain arsenal still allows fishing . Back 8 years ago it had a lot of big bass catch and release only, and pay to fish If you have not tried it out I would . I fish Toledo Bend and Lake fork in Texas and was use to fishing heavy flooded timber at night 3 days before and up to the full moon . You should try Fly Fishing for Trout and Salmon . The Biggest bass I ever caught was a 10.9 from Lake Fork in the timber, But those were to good old days when I had access to a 20 ft Champion Bass boat I would average about catching 4 bass a week from the ponds on the west side of Denver. Today sadly due to some injuries I just manly tinker with fishing But good luck to you Colorado is a wonderful Place to Live if you love the out doors !
cwbleifeld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

been killing them off shore with dark weightless worms up by Loveland.
AzHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

My initial thought to your post is a simple Texas Rig. I find whether they're aggressive or not it's fairly tough for a Bass not to (eventually) eat something that's sitting right in front of their face.

There's other finesse presentations as well, literally just google that. It's a patience game .. it's definitely not fast-paced, heart-pounding action. It's not simply burning a spinnerbait through and getting explosive strikes. Some may find it boring or intolerable but it definitely catches fish.

The only thing I would say on this is that you really probably don't need to go crazy on your tackle. There are a LOT of videos out there (all trying to one-up each other - more subscribers = more affiliate link $$) saying you need 60lb braid w a 15 or 20lb fluoro leader ... heavy gauge hooks ... a crazy heavy rod ... massive swimbaits with monster treble hooks ... etc.

I don't know, maybe in highly specific situations ... but for most applications I find moderate tackle to be quite appropriate. Especially if you're like me and just a recreational angler.

I've caught too many Bass with seriously busted lips (missing half their mouths or only one good eye) that if we collectively keep going down this road in the name of marketing/the fishing industry pushing the next big (unnecessary) thing, there might not be a ton of "lips to rip".

We live in an information overload world. At the end of the day, just try to keep it as simple as possible.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHighways View Post
been killing them off shore with dark weightless worms up by Loveland.
I’m heading up that way tomorrow, thanks for the tip. I’m going to pond hop, I’ll let ya know if anything bites. Good Fishin’
Old 06-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbleifeld View Post
Hello Texarodan I live in Texas but 6 years ago I was in the Denver Colorado area for 15 years . I fished only plastic's worms, and lizards with a few crawfish Black for the worms 6" Scoundrel Cream Lure Black w/ Blue pincers for the crawfish . and most any color for the lizards . The biggest bass I caught was from the Ward Road Pond Ward road and I -70 On the north side of I-70 . Always caught bass at the pond behind camper world . I do not know if the Rocky Mountain arsenal still allows fishing . Back 8 years ago it had a lot of big bass catch and release only, and pay to fish If you have not tried it out I would . I fish Toledo Bend and Lake fork in Texas and was use to fishing heavy flooded timber at night 3 days before and up to the full moon . You should try Fly Fishing for Trout and Salmon . The Biggest bass I ever caught was a 10.9 from Lake Fork in the timber, But those were to good old days when I had access to a 20 ft Champion Bass boat I would average about catching 4 bass a week from the ponds on the west side of Denver. Today sadly due to some injuries I just manly tinker with fishing But good luck to you Colorado is a wonderful Place to Live if you love the out doors !
Oh man thanks for all the info and spots! That’s a wealth of knowledge cheers man. Sorry to hear about your injury, hopefully you still get to land some lunkers. Which Camper World are you referring to exactly. I fished Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn regularly, so this a challenge for me, but one that sure makes landing one that much sweeter.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Been in here for about a year now and was in California for 3 years. The best lake for quality bass is Quincy! Plastics, wacky rigged senkos and crawfish baits! Pueblo, drop shot a robo worm or drag a crawfish bait!
RobertMorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in