Newbie and an outsider! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie and an outsider!

Been lurking a bit and gathering what I can. I'm just a Texan headed Colorado way the end of this week, looking for a bit of advice.

We will be in Breckenridge and want to do a bit of fishing. Fly fishing is kinda out, as we don't have the proper gear, but we do have some spinning gear.

I'm leaning towards the Mohawk lakes, thinking it might be a little less crowded than the Blue River. Another option is Blue Lakes just south of Mohawk off 850, but I haven't been able to find any information as to if it has fish, or is able to be fished.

Others on the list, Twin Lakes, Kite Lake, Summit or Echo near Mt. Evans.

Not looking for you secret "golden spot", just curious if anyone has recent experience with these areas, tips for these areas, or suggestions for other places.

Thanks in advance!!
texasgreazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Not much help here

Hey there, I just joined this forum, I hope to get some fishing help and hints also.

I grew up in Orange County, CA in the 80's, used to fish the Eastern Sierras outside Bishop , CA. Always caught my limit. Moved here to Co in 1994, have never caught a trout here yet, any advice, spots or tactics is welcomed. I am just getting back into fishing after a 21 years of giving up on CO fishing. Note, I mostly like to fish Trout, but will consider Catfish, yummy!

Hope I did not Overtake/abuse your post man
LeopoldButtersScotch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

TexasG,

I have been talking and researching a bit. Most say Lake Granby, Shadow Mountain is the place to go. Also have heard Idaho Springs, Lake George, and Kite lake. Those are pretty much drive up and fish places. That is about all I know

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Avoid 11 Mile. Spinney and all that unless you are going deep for lake Trout or fly fishing in the rivers. I was out at 11 mile 2 weeks ago, trying from shore. It was so hot, fish are well below 30ft. Rivers I hear are good with Mepps, rooters, and flys. Going to try that tomorrow, the Upper N. Platte.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you are willing to drive to Twin Lakes, take a look at Turquoise Lake. Great scenic views with easy access.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you go during the week, the Blue River isn't that crowded. Was up there a week ago at the outlet stores and only two guys on the water. You can use spinning gear there. Yes, Blue lakes have fish as do the Mohawks. Make sure you hike to upper Mohawk. A lot of history along the way. You also have Officer's Gultch...you can use a fly and bubble there. Jefferson lake isn't that far of a drive. You might try Constantine..heading towards the Mount of the Holy Cross. Loaded with brookies. You could also try Old Dillon reservoir. If you go over to Turquoise and want a hike, Hagerman Lake has small cutts and is a cool hike...last time up, we rode our bikes. Cool place...a lot of history. the old tunnel is worth seeing. Just don't slip on the ice in the tunnel if you walk in. Last time up, we met a couple of guys coming out...one had slipped and dislocated his shoulder.

If you want to go out on a guided Dillon reservoir trip. You might contact Fordo and go out on his pontoon.

Last edited by hobiecat; 07-10-2018 at 08:42 AM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I fished the Blue in Breckenridge a few weeks ago--tough day. You'll do well to fish by the outlets in Silverthorne. Check with the local fly shops for up to date reports. You'll do better with a fly rod--you can rent one or buy a cheap one.
airbornedoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Glad to help a fellow Texan

You have already gotten some great advice. Re Summit and Echo Lakes, Summit has cutthroats and is open for fishing, Echo is on the way to Summit and is stocked by CPW. Mt. Evans is a "must visit" by out-of-towners, great views, lots of Rocky Mountain goats and Bighorn sheep, beautiful tundra flowers. I volunteer there to talk to visitors, answer questions etc. Stop at Summit and look for CPW volunteers with a table of animal artifacts, spotting scopes, and other gear to help you see the wildlife.
Spin Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Any suggestions out there for a more northern fly fish entrance. Like estes park area or west of fort collins?
ColoradoKid29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in