New York Lake in White River National Forest - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New York Lake in White River National Forest

Has anyone ever hiked down into New York Lake off off FDT 2221 from the Fulford side? Trail information is pretty slim but looks like it intersects with FDT 1898 for Nolan Lake—though it’s not clear on the descent into the basin from the summit of New York Mountain.
pescedonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescedonna View Post
Has anyone ever hiked down into New York Lake off off FDT 2221 from the Fulford side? Trail information is pretty slim but looks like it intersects with FDT 1898 for Nolan Lake—though it’s not clear on the descent into the basin from the summit of New York Mountain.
this is a timely question because I was planning a trip there but can't recall if there were any fish in this lake? It seems like I hiked in there about 20 years ago, but I fish a lot of those lakes in and around that area and can't specifically recall the details for this lake?

The term 'scramble' is used a lot for this trail on the internet when it reaches the lake which infers climbing down and through rock formations
Mtntop285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't, but I do believe going in from the Fulford side is best. You should be able to 4x4 up to the polar star mine and head south from there flanking the ridge on the west side of the drainage, then drop down through steep skri to the lake, which will be the most difficult and time consuming part. It has been on my bucket list for a long time. I grew up in Lake Creek and know that it will be well worth the effort getting in there. I would really be interested to know how the journey was if you make it in there.
Rip Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I hiked the New York Lake trail last Saturday. If you take 418 past Fulford a few miles you will come to the trailhead, it is called New York Mtn Trailhead. This will link up with the New York Lake trail which is #2221. I have been hiking up to a variety of Alpine lakes since 1996 and this was by far the most challenging, tiring and even dangerous at times trail to follow. It is lightly used, impossible to follow on most sections without using GPS with the trail marked on the map since the trail is not visible in most sections.

There is little to no water to be found along it and most of it is exposed, be aware of the weather changes since you can't really see the storms coming until they are on top of you due to the extreme angle of the canyons and valleys. You know it is going to be challenging when you break out of the treeline at the very beginning of the NYL trail and have to literally climb down using all 4 appendages into the valley and still have about 3 miles of hiking which involves at least 2 more ascents and descents to get to the lake.

With that said, the views are literally breath taking, there are sections of the trail which run along 1000' plus cliffs, bring your camera. Don't bring a child or dog along unless they are very athletic and can climb. I made it to within .3 miles of the lake and the lightning ran me out of the valley. LOL

Last edited by Mtntop285; 07-31-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtntop285 View Post
I hiked the New York Lake trail last Saturday. If you take 418 past Fulford a few miles you will come to the trailhead, it is called New York Mtn Trailhead. This will link up with the New York Lake trail which is #2221. I have been hiking up to a variety of Alpine lakes since 1996 and this was by far the most challenging, tiring and even dangerous at times trail to follow. It is lightly used, impossible to follow on most sections without using GPS with the trail marked on the map since the trail is not visible in most sections.

There is little to no water to be found along it and most of it is exposed, be aware of the weather changes since you can't really see the storms coming until they are on top of you due to the extreme angle of the canyons and valleys. You know it is going to be challenging when you break out of the treeline at the very beginning of the NYL trail and have to literally climb down using all 4 appendages into the valley and still have about 3 miles of hiking which involves at least 2 more ascents and descents to get to the lake.

With that said, the views are literally breath taking, there are sections of the trail which run along 1000' plus cliffs, bring your camera. Don't bring a child or dog along unless they are very athletic and can climb. I made it to within .3 miles of the lake and the lightning ran me out of the valley. LOL
Dang man, thanks for that info. I've heard it is a tough one getting in there. Bummer you didn't make to the lake, but probably the right decision to head back with the weather changing. How long would you say it took you round trip?
Rip Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Man that's a long way for dumb cuttys-
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Slayer, you slay me! I have been told this quite a bit over the years. I hike up to these lakes just about every weekend in the summer and fall, the non stop action of catching fish all day and the solitude is incomparable to any other type of fishing I have done here in CO. I bring my dog along to get her and me in shape for grouse, chukar and ptarmigan season in September and then pheasant after that.

It took me about 4 hours overall out and back not including the last .3 miles to the lake as the crow flies by GPS. Making the lake would have involved another steep scrambling descent into the valley and then a steep climb up the lake. I have been known to take the 'straight' path to lakes ignoring the trails, but the mountains around this valley are extremely steep and the valley is the safest route up to this lake. I suspect making the lake would have added another hour or so to the whole trip.

I would add, if you are afraid of heights, this trail will get your guts tingling LOL

I bet the fishing would have been phenomenal if I would have made it to the lake!!

Last edited by Mtntop285; 08-01-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

I bet it is a fun hike. I too like the solitude and heights. And truth be told I like dumb cuttys.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
I bet it is a fun hike. I too like the solitude and heights. And truth be told I like dumb cuttys.
the dumb brookies and cutty's make the hike well worth it to me too!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like quite the trail; enough to keep most of the lead-feet and orvis army away!

Totally agree with Mtntop285; hard to beat the solitude and experience of high elevation lakes. I often find the sights along way so amazing that fishing just becomes icing on the cake... Really good icing. And the color/variations in the fish up high is just something else.. I'm so hooked on picking blue dots on the map that I pretty much forget about river fishing till mid/later fall.
b.reelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in